crossbow help

our crossbow season is over 2 months now and i want to get a crossbow-please show pics,give advice, and tell me what i need to know when getting started-thanks

Are you disabled? I don't know in kentucky, but in connecticut you need to be physically disabled in order to hunt with a crossbow. Why not go with a bow instead? I've been doing archery for almost 14 years now, and i love it.

i bow hunt, but just want to try a crossbow.i am not disabled. KY has 2 crossbow seasons that equal to about 66 days.

I have a horton 175 lb draw model that ive had since 2005. It shoots very nice. around 330 ft per second. ive shot it up to 60 yards accurately. killed many deer with it

Excalibur is the only name ya need to know

Been playing with ctosssbows 30 years . For the simplist ,easiest most reliable crossbow look no further than an Excalibur.

Every year I see all the new bows and there great Tenpoint makes a fine but very expensive bow but here is why I like the simplicity of a recurve crossbow . one is ease of tuneing you just adjust brace height . Compound crossbows are prone to string stretch and other tuneing issues. I have a buddy who sells ten points and excaliburs he would rather sell a ten point because at least every now and then he will see them to replace a string or for a tuneing issue . When he sells an Excalibur the owner with an extra string does not need the dealer again.

For example my buddy has a neat inverted limb Horton it has been back 3 times to Horton in the last 3 years. If I frey a string on way into woods I can reach in pocket pull out a pre stretched string and I am back in business in 30 seconds. With a compound crossbow you need a press and there are cables and harnesses to deal with.

If you want a simple sledgehammer of a bow get an Excalibur and never look back. The benefits of a recurve crossbow IMHO out weight the benefits of the compound competition.

Also look at competition Excalibur does very well

I have not touched my sights to adjust them in 8 years and being I can relax my limbs when bow is not in use I have not lost a FPS in as long

Helped me hammer this boy on a drive this year shot him at 8 yds from the ground actually clipped shoulder on way in punched thru rib on way out never found arrow montec head

IMG-20101105-00007_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you disabled? I don't know in kentucky, but in connecticut you need to be physically disabled in order to hunt with a crossbow. Why not go with a bow instead? I've been doing archery for almost 14 years now, and i love it.

Last year CT opened up January crossbow season, private land, zones 11 & 12 only, for any hunter. The remainder of the year, you are correct, crossbow is for disabled hunters only, by way of doctor documented exceptions.

Back