Crosscut Saw Thread

You won't get long loopy noodles from a small saw with small gullets in dry hardwood, especially with straight rakers. But if your filing is consistent, there should be a lot of short noodles of similar size. I was cutting green locust once with an Atkins 390 and the noodles kept rolling up like watch springs in the gullets.

You won't get long loopy noodles from a small saw with small gullets in dry hardwood, especially with straight rakers. But if your filing is consistent, there should be a lot of short noodles of similar size. I was cutting green locust once with an Atkins 390 and the noodles kept rolling up like watch springs in the gullets.

Great information thank you Trailtime.
I had consistent shape and size with some whiskers but not all whisker.
I will run her again tomorrow and then go thru checking if and or how many cutters are to short.

Picked up this 2 or 3 footer for $3.00. Now I can finally add to this thread.
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Picked up this 2 or 3 footer for $3.00. Now I can finally add to this thread.
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Good deal! I like that the handle has 4 bolts.
I am green to Crosscuts and have not come across that tooth pattern before

That's the Great American? I have only seen that pattern in the I.D. sketches...I will take a closer look.
I would like to find Great American pattern saw myself one day.

Thanks Phantomknives

Looks to be more of a pruning saw, though big enough for crosscutting smaller rounds. Crosscut bucking saws will typically have holes for an auxiliary handle at the blade's toe and just in front of the D-handle. When sharp, those small teeth are easy to start in small diameter wood.

Disston Crosscut Test Fun
...more a test of my filing for experience and comparison...

Elm

20180227_085555.jpg

White Paper Birch

20180228_090019.jpg

Easter White Pine

20180228_092515.jpg

20180228_093416.jpg

20180228_093410.jpg

I would say that the whiskers are telling me that there are more than one cutter shorter than the rakers. They may be telling me more than that, or something completely different...There does seem to be a consistency in the majority of chips from each cutting.
Other than that the saw bites and starts smoothly and easily. Cuts straight thru very smoothly on each of the rounds, unfortunately I only have the smaller pine limbs for the Pine test and no oak or maple.

:cool::thumbsup:

20180228_090040.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to squeeze in just enough for a minimal test run...before my youngest boys school nurse called.

20180227_085144.jpg

It was a nice high, bright, warm late morning sun

20180227_085555.jpg

20180227_085621.jpg

20180227_085807.jpg

Back to the Warren Miller Video and Manual later...then back in the saw vise for refile, tomorrow if the sudden illness sweeping kindergarten is only an afternoon virus;).
:thumbsup: Can't wait to get back to the garage and Charlene;)

Looks like it is putting out some nice sized chunks. Probably the size of the cuttings and even the thickness of the little noodles would tell more then if it is pulling noodles or not. I think noodles are fun but over rated.
Jim

Looks like a clean cut. Did it cut straight?

An interesting tidbit is that when single bucking, a properly sharpened peg and raker saw will cut a little to the left as it cuts down through the log. This is because the cutter directly in front of the raker is almost always on the left side and when single bucking there is more down pressure on the push stroke then on the pull stroke. This cutting to the left is not normally enough to cause a problem but a sawyer or filer should not be concerned if they see that. It is normal and there is nothing wrong with the saw.

For a similar reason you will start to see whiskers on one side of the noodle before seeing whiskers on both sides of the noodle. That is normal and just the nature of the beast.

Jim

Looks like it is putting out some nice sized chunks. Probably the size of the cuttings and even the thickness of the little noodles would tell more then if it is pulling noodles or not. I think noodles are fun but over rated.
Jim

Thank you for that sir. I do carried away thinking I need noodles, noodles, noodles:D
It sure is fun!...looks like fun :) But to know if the saw is cutting well and efficiently are definetly my prime goal to grow and move forward. I greatly appreciate the feedback and advice. :thumbsup:

An interesting tidbit is that when single bucking, a properly sharpened peg and raker saw will cut a little to the left as it cuts down through the log. This is because the cutter directly in front of the raker is almost always on the left side and when single bucking there is more down pressure on the push stroke then on the pull stroke. This cutting to the left is not normally enough to cause a problem but a sawyer or filer should not be concerned if they see that. It is normal and there is nothing wrong with the saw.

For a similar reason you will start to see whiskers on one side of the noodle before seeing whiskers on both sides of the noodle. That is normal and just the nature of the beast.

Jim

Excellent information!

Thank you, I will be watching when cutting to look for that next time out.

Looks like you're getting the saw filing basics accomplished. Next step is to tune your blade for better performance. When you point up your cutters, how much of a "dot" (unfiled flat spot which reflects light) do you leave? If you file completely past the dot, you have just shortened that cutter below the jointed height, which will encourage whiskers. When I file my cutters, I first back home them to guarantee clean flat steel. Then I profile them to the near final shape, leaving a dot a little bigger than the period on the end of a sentence. Then, I make one more pass with the hone to remove any filing burr. I then set the tooth, and if over by one or two thousandths, I'll back hone to the exact setting. This still leaves me with a small flat dot which supports my raker gauge for final cutting of the raker height. That done, I final file my points taking care not to file past the dot. For an absolute needle point, I'll glue a strip of 400g sandpaper to a wooden paint stirrer and carefully take the small dot down to near disappearance. This will also polish the face of your cutter. This might sound like a lot of extra stuff, but these final procedures go really fast and don't add much to the filing time.

Looks like you're getting the saw filing basics accomplished. Next step is to tune your blade for better performance. When you point up your cutters, how much of a "dot" (unfiled flat spot which reflects light) do you leave? If you file completely past the dot, you have just shortened that cutter below the jointed height, which will encourage whiskers. When I file my cutters, I first back home them to guarantee clean flat steel. Then I profile them to the near final shape, leaving a dot a little bigger than the period on the end of a sentence. Then, I make one more pass with the hone to remove any filing burr. I then set the tooth, and if over by one or two thousandths, I'll back hone to the exact setting. This still leaves me with a small flat dot which supports my raker gauge for final cutting of the raker height. That done, I final file my points taking care not to file past the dot. For an absolute needle point, I'll glue a strip of 400g sandpaper to a wooden paint stirrer and carefully take the small dot down to near disappearance. This will also polish the face of your cutter. This might sound like a lot of extra stuff, but these final procedures go really fast and don't add much to the filing time.

Thank you Trailtime for the encouragement.

Incredibly helpful feedback sir!
I was trying to follow a visual line when filing my cutters, filing each side to almost that halfway / center of the tip to allow for symmetrical sides leading to that apex.

What you described perfectly lays out what i was attempting, had misunderstood and warped into my own process.
Thanks for catching that and shedding light on that for me! Greatly appreciated.
Your description brings clarity to what i was trying to do...yet stumbling to understand everything as i applied what i was learning along the way.

All the reading and videos and pictures are great but it's the hands on and direct feedback I have been receiving that is most helpful and most encouraging.

Thank you Trailtime and Jim Thode, Square peg, Trailsawyer, phantomknives, rjankert, agent h, 300 and everyone else!

Now to decide to rejoint this saw and go again or move on to the next saw I have lined up for sharpening and grow with each experience, coming back to correct as i learn...

Last edited:
Jim Thode has some good examples of illuminating and checking the dot on his website.

Thank you I will need to get watching and pay close attention. So much to learn and that gives me much room for improvement...I hope.

Last edited:
After some thought, I decided to move forward and dress the 48# plain tooth Disston I have.
-ALMA-

20180301_132844.jpg

20180301_132927.jpg

I had already cleaned the blade, so yesterday I took advantage of the weather and treated the handles and cleaned the gullets. Many of the gullets, more than half, were like this one...
BEFORE

20180301_134254.jpg

AFTER
20180301_134351.jpg

I have this very interesting Company Stamping with what may be the date it was in service, 2 • 26 • 25...perhaps??
Anyone else come across the S.S. Imp. Co.?

20180301_132939.jpg

20180301_132912.jpg

I was thinking the practice on the plain tooth cutters may help my filing to improve my "dot" filing and keeping the cutters from shortening below the rakers on my next peg and raker saw.
After this 48" Plain tooth, I have a 5' two man bucking saw plain tooth pattern I will dress.

20180115_220332.jpg

20180115_225550.jpg

20180116_113230.jpg

Then I have two champion tooth 5' felling saws. One Atkins 48" and two more Disston 36"...all champion tooth. Perhaps by the end of the last saw filed I will have a handle on what i am doing right and what I need to do differently LOL!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice
Thanks for looking:thumbsup:

If you look at the tooth closest to the heel of that 48" Disston, you will see what the original tooth profile looked like. Most casual filers will not reprofile when sharpening their saws, as it's time consuming. But by not doing that, the teeth will become squatty. I'm guessing you could put a chainsaw file in the U between the two heel teeth, but that separation was absent from most of the others when you first started. The last plain tooth saw I filed, I cut all teeth to the same length and shape and used a round file to establish the bottom depth between the teeth. I also ran a wood screw into a small block of wood to use as a depth gauge to keep them all consistent.

Back