1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Crowned Spines

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by psquared, Aug 13, 2019.

1. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    I've been carrying a custom today with a crowned and filed spine that I think is really attractive. My knives get light use and I have no requirement to use the spine of my knife to strike fire steels or open bottles so, personally, I'd like to see crowned spines on more knives. The production knives in my collection that I can think of off hand that have crowned spines are :

CRK Sebenzas
    CRK Mnandi
    Benchmade Shoki (not sure if both versions had crowned spines, mine is the M390 version)
    Benchmade 32
    Spyderco Goddard Jr sprint
    Mcusta Bamboo
    Mcusta Tsushi
    Strider SJ75 - not sure if that is regarded as crowned with filework but I like it.

There are lots with swedges but not so many with really attractive rounded crowns.

Which other production models could I look at to expand my list?

2. orangejoe35

orangejoe35 Former McDonald's Employee Platinum Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I don't know about the folders, but the fixed-blade Boker Kwaiken has a crowned spine.

3. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Of all knives, my SRM Land 910 has a crowned spine. It’s a nice detail* on what amounts to a budget beater knife.

* it is worth mentioning that this detail and much of the form factor has been directly lifted from the Chris Reeve Sebenza. One can hardly give the manufacturer any credit for that (or any) design decision regarding the knife.

4. Murdamook

Murdamook Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Is a crowned spine simply rounded? Not a fan, if so. I like having a 90 degree spine. I feel like it makes the knife more utilitarian.

5. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Alot of the Benchmade Gold Classes havr crowned spines

6. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    I have a M390 black G10 Benchmade 710 with a crowned spine. Definitely nicer

7. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Pics of the knife you're referring to?

Zieg

8. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Benchmade Anthem also has a crowned spine. The Slysz Bowie (RIP) also has one.

9. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    The Lionsteel Shuffler and Viper EO that Mike sells at Collectorknives have crowned spines.

10. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Viper Belone. M390 with crowned spine.

11. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I like rounded spines on knives. I prefer not to use my knives to strike ferro rods. It uglies them up. I usually have a dedicated striker, or my leatherman with lots of striking surfaces.

Rounded spines feel great under the thumb, especially when bearing down into cuts. I round the spines on my cheap users, like Opinel, and Cheap Spydercos.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  12. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    And like all the Giant Mouse Knives.

13. Nsled

Nsled

May 13, 2019
    Someone want to explain or provide examples of a "crowned spine". If it just means round, then yeh I generally find them ugly.

14. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Im also in the “fan of crowned spines”.

sechip likes this.
  15. ShadyMethods

ShadyMethods Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Just means the spine of the blade is rounded. Not the best photo to show it but you can sort of see it here.

[​IMG]

To add to the list:
    Lionsteel SR2
    BM 51 Morpho
    BM Gold Class Foray
    BRS Alpha Beast
    Grimsmo Norseman

16. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

I’ll try and take better photos of the spine and file work today.

I’ve got a few knives to have a look at, thank you.

Interesting to see so many Italian made knives mentioned.

marthinus, The Zieg and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  17. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    A few more (assuming you were asking about the custom that got me thinking in the first place).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marthinus and The Zieg like this.
  18. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    C290ED8A-97E9-4ABC-A650-4309C1D98FB7.jpeg They said this one had a crowned spine. It’s hard to see.

19. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Viper orso

20. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I prefer a crowned spine on my folders. I find it increases comfort, looks good and, in a folder, doesn't cost any utility that I'm ever gonna miss.