CS 4-Max - BM Adamas ???

Don't get either, save some cash and buy the recon1 xhp,sorry to stray but sometimes thats the way I roll..I love the looks of the 4max but I just can't visualize the application, now if it was the weight of the voyage x2 japan version-I myself would own it.

Well worth watching all of this !:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes, fantastic real test review...which influenced me to buy one. I have no doubt the knife can hold up to the kind of abuse seen in the video. But...over time, those springs will break. Benchmade makes great knives and I own several. This is one I can’t recommend until they figure something out with the springs.

Yes, fantastic real test review...which influenced me to buy one. I have no doubt the knife can hold up to the kind of abuse seen in the video. But...over time, those springs will break. Benchmade makes great knives and I own several. This is one I can’t recommend until they figure something out with the springs.
I agree . I don't like the Axis lock for the extreme hard use role . I was just surprised how well it did in the video . I don't think he's done the 4 Max ?

I'd think that the Cold Steel SR1 is more comparable than the 4 max.
I think for hard use applications, the SR1 or Recon 1 are both preferable too in that the scales provide good traction. The 4Max feels great, but the slippery scales concern me.

I have lots of high end production and several custom folders including an AD10. If I could only have one folder and it had to handle everything, it would be my 4 Max. It slices but can be used as a pry bar. The edge holds up well. I have small hands but the 4 Max handle still fits me well.

Just a note on the Axis lock springs:

Whilst I appreciate that this does not necessarily apply to those posting on this thread, the best way to break an omega spring is by disengaging the Axis lock by using pressure on only one side. After a while one of the springs will break. I’ve got half a dozen Axis BM’s, including an Adamas, but no broken springs as yet.

I've had several BM 0275 folders, and they are great knives. The 0375 is also fine at a hair over five ounces.
The Cold Steel is a beast..0.180" compared with 0.170" (BM), and either one is capable of tearing down a high-rise building, if you're in the mood.
But 9+ounces on the CS compared with 5+ounces on the BM is NOT a good selling point (for me), even though the Cold Steel blade-steel is much better on most counts than the D2.

I've had several BM 0275 folders, and they are great knives. The 0375 is also fine at a hair over five ounces.
The Cold Steel is a beast..0.180" compared with 0.170" (BM), and either one is capable of tearing down a high-rise building, if you're in the mood.
But 9+ounces on the CS compared with 5+ounces on the BM is NOT a good selling point (for me), even though the Cold Steel blade-steel is much better on most counts than the D2.
I agree. Almost 10 oz weight for a folder is more knife than I have ever needed for a pocket carry knife.
The blade of the Ultimate Hunter is very similar in appearance to that of the 4 Max . Thew UH is very well made, very ergonomic and quite strong . At 3.5 inches and weighing 5 oz., that suits me for an outdoor/work knife folder. I can arrange a fixed bade for heavier work. Maybe I would feel different if I had ever held a 4 MAX.
I do have an SR1 which I like, but that is big as I want or need in a pocket carry knife. Most of my big knife needs are easily taken care of by my
Recon1. I guess I m just not doing enough heavy work these days.:)

Whilst I appreciate that this does not necessarily apply to those posting on this thread, the best way to break an omega spring is by disengaging the Axis lock by using pressure on only one side. After a while one of the springs will break. I’ve got half a dozen Axis BM’s, including an Adamas, but no broken springs as yet.
:eek: This would seem to be a "no brainer " except that I never even thought about it :oops:. Makes perfect sense , now that you said it . I almost never have done it the right way . But I only have a few Axis lock knives , not used much .

The last couple days involved ordering an Italian 4-Max (inbound, expected this week) and shipping out my BNIB back-up Adamas to it's new owner. I look forward to handling both. Separately, thanks Pilsner for the advice re Omega springs.

Back to the discussion at hand, the Adamas, and no doubt the 4-Max as well, transcends that weight/size/performance matrix that is owned by fixed blades. There is no argument that fixed blades are stronger than folders for a given size/weight and, at least speaking for myself, if I am hunting, camping, hiking or ... as Ethan Becker is known to say, have dirt under my shoes, I'm usually sporting a fixed blade. The size and bulk of the fixed blade depends on anticipated tasks but a 4 - 5 or so inch ( thickness < .20") is kind of the baseline.

All of that being said, other than the convenience of folding and re-pocketing a folder compared to re-sheathing a fixed blade, is there any real benefit to carrying a heavier, bulkier, costlier, more complicated, more work to clean - and weaker knife compared to a (for comparable performance level) lighter , slimmer, less expensive, simpler, easier to clean and stronger knife? The practical answer, of course, is NO! But this isn't a Fixed or Folder thread and we Knife Knuts here at BF are not always such a practical thinking bunch.

The 4-Max will not replace a fixed blade in my kit; nor will it have me fall out of love with my RAT-1s, Sebenza, American Lawman, Voyagers, Buck 110s, Pacific Salts, SAKs or Emersons ... but it will be fun to have.

I only have three Benchmades (one of them is an Adamas), and carry them frequently with no spring breakage. I do not follow your advice. The Benchmade representative here on the forum does not even advocate this.

I only have three Benchmades (one of them is an Adamas), and carry them frequently with no spring breakage. I do not follow your advice. The Benchmade representative here on the forum does not even advocate this.
That’s strange, because Benchmade themselves have said it in the past. I believe it may even be on this website somewhere.

To each their own.

l found the quote from the Benchmade Design Engineer https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/question-for-jimmy-concerning-omega-springs.1511257/page-2

"If you apply pressure to one side of the axis bar (lock stud) you will need to pull that side down a little farther than necessary to disengage the lock. This could result in slightly higher stress on the side that is being pulled and slightly less stress on the opposing side. Realistically though the difference is minuscule especially if you compare to using both fingers and pulling the lock stud all the way to the rear every time. In other words it doesn't really matter."

l found the quote from the Benchmade Design Engineer https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/question-for-jimmy-concerning-omega-springs.1511257/page-2

"If you apply pressure to one side of the axis bar (lock stud) you will need to pull that side down a little farther than necessary to disengage the lock. This could result in slightly higher stress on the side that is being pulled and slightly less stress on the opposing side. Realistically though the difference is minuscule especially if you compare to using both fingers and pulling the lock stud all the way to the rear every time. In other words it doesn't really matter."
Well found.

I've owned and carried more than a few Benchmades, including the Adamas for over a year, and I have yet to have an Omega spring break. I have a difficult time seeing how a person can swear off the best lock design around simply because of a tiny chance that a part of it could break.

More on-topic, the Adamas was one of the best folding knives I've carried, the only issue I had with it was that it was too overbuilt for the tasks I was using it for; the blade was a little thick to be cutting cardboard with, but that wasn't a problem with the knife. If I needed a folder that I'd trust to replace a fixed blade, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Adamas again; I'd put it up against a Becker BK16 anyday and it would certainly hold its own.

Back