CS Arc-Angel Issues

Well, I hope that I didn't do something terrible, I wasnt really weighing the risks. I just took my Cold Steel Arc-Angel out back an attacked the grime and stains between the handles with my garden hose, utilizing the jet setting. I was fed up. I keep this knife clean and I oil it regulary. I still developed some sort of tiny stains around the base of the blade that even flitz wont take off. So what do I need to do now to keep it from rusting? I don't have any oil where I am, I just towl and q-tip dried the knife. Will it be ok for a few days? Does anyone know what kind of stains these are and what will get rid of them?

Carbon-V stains pretty easily, but I don't think that staining necessarily will lead to rust as long as you keep it dry.

My bad I guess thats why the stock of them has dried up with Camillus going under and all.

yes,carbon-v isn't made anymore.
the knife's in carbon-v will become rare soon,and more collectors value

I found this reference, which brings up my comments below.
http://www.coldsteel.com/fa2ndgrclpob.html

The description says the arc-angel is a carbon steel blade with titanium handles. Titanium and carbon steel form a galvanic cell. This is a sure recipe for corrosion problems. Ti should only be used with stainless steel. If the Ti has any metallic contact with the carbon steel blade, even through a pin, the blade will rust almost just sitting on the shelf.

So to answer your questions:
What to do to keep it from rusting? Not very much. You have a galvanic cell. This provides a terrific drive to corrode. Keep the blade treated at all times with oil so that air and moisture cannot reach the blade. Moisture and oxygen are necessary for the galvanic corrosion reaction to occur.

What are the stains? Surface corrosion. AKA Rust.

What will get rid of them? I like Bon Ami and scotch brite. Other stuff works good too. Basically you are going to need to polish or grind the stains off using media that is very fine.

All that being said, all of my non-stainless blades have surface rust. It doesn't hurt them or make them less functional. They just look like used carbon steel.

attachment.php

Back