CS epoxy coating...

I just had a crazy thought- has anyone removed the coating from a CS SRK or Recon? How hard do you think it would be? And what would be the best way? Right now I am thinking... wirebrush Dremel attachment!
I think I will give it a try today and post my results later tonight.
FWIW, I am not worried about rust as I take good care of my blades, but I may blue it or stain it w/ lemon juice or some such later- I just can't see preparing food with the coating on.

------------------
smile.gif
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited 25 March 1999).]

Cobalt

Gold Member
I have never tried it, but it looks baked on, so it will be hard to remove. I wish that they would give an option of not coating the blades.

Ya know, I just realized that I mentioned I might blue my SRK after I got rid of the epoxy coating (so I could use it for food prep)- Doh!!! Yeah, thats right, trade the baked on epoxy for some *yummy* toxic acid.
redface.gif

Anyhoo.... I finaly found a use for those little black sandpaper disks that came with my Dremel- they zipped right through the epoxy coating and left a pretty decent polish behind.
Ok, so it took about 15 of them.
wink.gif

A little elbow grease and some 1200 grit sandpaper, and I'll be ready to rock.
Actually, it don't look half bad. I will try to get a picture scanned.(Yeah, right. And pigs fly.)
smile.gif

------------------
smile.gif
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited 25 March 1999).]

I removed CS baked epoxy coating from my Recon Tanto. It was a piece of cake. I used my fingernails. Before that I accidentally smelted the coating using clove oil. However, I regularly use clove oil on all my real-steel knives but it does no harm to the supposed-to-be same coating on LTC Kukri.
Wirebrush sound as a great idea if clove oil fails. Mine was polished by a professional craftman.

ZoxX

Back