CS Katana Machete or Honshu Spartan?

Hello I hope you are all doing well. Like the title says I want to purchase a nice machete and I can't decide wether i should buy the CS Tactical Katana Machete (1055) or the Honshu Spartan Sword (7Cr13). The first purpose will be decoration so looks matter. I think they look both quite cool but i want also something functional, that could be used as a real weapon and that can take some beating in backyard or garden (I won't abuse the swords though). Which one, in your opinion, is the better choice? Thank you an have a nice day!

I wouldn't beat on either of those swords. I hope the day also never comes when I would have to use either as a real weapon.

Thai Machete from Cold Steel . Nice long handle for two hand leverage and power .

Works as a machete and could be used for SD , but not the best sword .

Thai Machete from Cold Steel . Nice long handle for two hand leverage and power .

Works as a machete and could be used for SD , but not the best sword .

Very interesting! Thank you very much! The quality should be the same as for the tactical Katana. So would you say that this tool is robust and reliable? On many photos the blade looks indeed quite thin an some reviewers complain about it being too wobbly. On the other hand some say that the CS Machete line up is indestructible. What is your opinion?

I have a CS Latin machete and I can get it hair shaving sharp on ceramic. Works great for thorns and brush. I don't use it for anything heavy-duty, because it's the only machete I've owned I could get that degree of sharp, so it's only cutting green stuff.

A buddy gifted me a CS Katana Machete. It's built pretty tough, far more robust than the usual machete. It's just a big black hunk of steel and plastic, it has no aesthetics to speak of. I can't say anything as to how it functions, because the polypropylene fake ito wrap is absurdly uncomfortable in the hand and is the only handle I've held that is basically all hot spots. Given it's sheer size and mass, it would be quite a chopper, but the handle would have to be smoothed out before I would choose to use it.

Very interesting! Thank you very much! The quality should be the same as for the tactical Katana. So would you say that this tool is robust and reliable? On many photos the blade looks indeed quite thin an some reviewers complain about it being too wobbly. On the other hand some say that the CS Machete line up is indestructible. What is your opinion?
Cold Steel products are generally at least built strongly for their price point and will do the job as advertised .

I use the Thai Machete for light to medium type cutting . Grass , weeds and smaller diameter soft woody brush / limbs .

It's not really designed to be a heavy chopper . Like an axe or heavy machete . I wouldn't try to chop down a tree or large limbs .

Note that you can break anything , if used improperly .

Hello I hope you are all doing well. Like the title says I want to purchase a nice machete and I can't decide wether i should buy the CS Tactical Katana Machete (1055) or the Honshu Spartan Sword (7Cr13). The first purpose will be decoration so looks matter. I think they look both quite cool but i want also something functional, that could be used as a real weapon and that can take some beating in backyard or garden (I won't abuse the swords though). Which one, in your opinion, is the better choice? Thank you an have a nice day!

Honshu Spartan Sword FAILURE! Let's talk about it​

This Knife is A Fail! | Cold Steel Katana Machete​

Seriously, the Cold Steel will probably be more durable, if for no other reason than anything sold by United Cutlery today is complete garbage.

There is no way I would ever take a large blade made of cheap chinese alloy steel who's formula is suspect of even being that steel, that is likely to fail on any whack you give it.. No one would fake, the cheapest and most common steel like 1055 and the HT is so simple. CS 1055 all the way.

I have a bunch of these South African made cold steel swordish machetes. I've hacked all kinds of Florida brush and scrub and limbs and they work fine. the comment on the plastic shaped handle of the katanas is right on. horrible design. uncomfortable and hot spots everywhere. the steel though while on the soft side holds up and takes a good edge. doesn't hold it for long though, but good enough.

the finish on them is poor though. large burred edges and barely sharp. easily cleaned up to get finished though. grinds are poor and shapes aren't perfect but useable.

for a user they are fun and work okay. for a serious tool better choices even for the lower costs. picking on the katana ones the handles are very poorly thought out and awful. need to be sanded down and/or wrapped to make useable for a tool.

Back