CS kukhuri

Bill what you think about CS khukuris?

[This message has been edited by Slawxxx (edited 11 March 1999).]

Bill, will not answer you on this, one way or the other and he has forbidden the rest of us to badmouth anybody elses khukuri's for good reasons. So, I will refer you to Cliff S.'s review of several knives. If someone can post the URL, please.

From a design standpoint, the only real comparative CS khukuri is the Ghurka which is 5/16 inch thick. The other CS khukuri's are around 1/8 inch thick and are more of a machette than an actuall chopper. CS makes good products and their Carbon V steel is very good.

Note the comparative review found at:

<a href="http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/knives/HI_CS.html">Comparative khukuri review : Himalayan Imports | Cold Steel </a>

was written by Will Kwan, not me. I just had the net space to put it up for him.

-Cliff

The HI forumites have already supplied the answer. Generally speaking, I personally prefer handmade items of any type to factory made.

Bill

Thanks ,now I now -only HI.
Second problem which one I think about Ang Khola 15 or 20
Slaw

Slawxx, I would say, the 15 inch for starters. The 20 incher is 4 pounds. Check out the 15 incher, I think you will be impressed. Also think about the WWII. At 16.5 inches it is in between the others and not much heavier than the 15 inch A.K. Darnit, they are all nice. The 15 inch A.K. is like a Wolverine and the 20 inch A.K. is like a Kodiak Island Brownie. I jumped in and got a 15 inch A.K. for my first and did not regret it.

Cobalt thanks!
This is my first khukuris experience.Im cant wait to commpare khukuri with my MD or Busse,lets go with 15 AK(Bill I will contact You )
Thanks again Slaw

Slawxx, you obviously have good taste in knives. The H.I. will complement those two excellent knives.

The CS Gurkha kukuri is a decent knife. The steel is excellent for edge retention (the best I've found so far in a khukuri) and resistant to chipping and peening. Its cutting ability is excellent and chopping is also very good (if you ignore the fact it gets stuck wood easily).

My main issues with the CS Gurkha are handle durability (kraton seems quite soft), and vibration for long term use. What I can't stand most is that it gets really stuck in the material when chopping.

This would be a great urban khukuri, big and intimindating as a weapon, clears brush (hedges) well, and can be used for chopping.

Even though I still own my CS Gurkha, for work I prefere the H.I. models, more durable handles, easier maintenance, and they don't get stuck.

The LTC is nowhere the knife its bigger brother is.

Will

Will, the CS Ghurka khukuri looks like a real quality piece that will last a long time and at 5/16 inch thick it is no weakling either. I will eventually own one just for the sake of owning one, as I will eventually own one of every good quality khukuri made, but If I could only own one khukuri it would be the HI. I bought a CS ghurka and sent it back. I used that money to buy the HI's. By next year I will have somewere around 12 HI's(God willing) and then I may get a CS or Ontario or both.

Hi Cobalt

For me, if I can only own one, it would be a H.I. WWII model. I'm not sure if it would be the 18" or the standard 16.5 one. Once the 18" one shows up I will be able to answer this question (I am pretty confident it will be the 18" one, I suspect it will chop even better than a 15" Ang Khola).

Will

Yes, Will, I can't wait till the 18 inch WWII's show up. I figured I would like them alot, so I have two on order with Bill. The 18 inch AK should also be one heck of a chopper. I only ordered one of those.

Back