CS SRK new steel... What are your thoughts on full VG-1

Hello,

I've been looking at several different midsize fixed blade survival type knives and the CS SRK caught my eye. I've been reading and watching reviews but just when I thought I understood the products somewhat (carbon v discontinued, regular one AUS8 pkys San Mai laminated), I started noticing that multiple sites are saying that the black coated version is now VG-1 rather than AUS8. I've searched all over but most info on VG-1 is related to the San Mai rather than the new steel. I finally got routed to the CS official website and it confirmed that it's being made in new steel.

My questions are what do you think of the VG-1 steel vs AUS8? I'm thinking that it should be superior being a Japanese steel. But I'm concerned about the chipping issues that I've heard about in the San Mai SRK and the similar VG10 chipping out issues that Fallkniven has. This doesn't have the benefit of the more resilient steel sandwiched around it. Should I be concerned? No plans for abuse but dropping the knife will probably happen and I don't have funds for replacement of my knife often. I really need it to last. My other question is whether the SRK will be continued to be produced in Taiwan or if using Japanese steel will move production to Japan as well. I'm guessing the former but thought I'd ask.

Please chime in with all your thoughts on the new steel and what expectations you have for performance, issues, chipping, durability, edge retention, ease of sharpening, cold weather use (which I will have to deal with), etc. Thanks so much.

Hello,
My questions are what do you think of the VG-1 steel vs AUS8? I'm thinking that it should be superior being a Japanese steel.
I really need it to last. My other question is whether the SRK will be continued to be produced in Taiwan or if using Japanese steel will move production to Japan as well. I'm guessing the former but thought I'd ask.

Both Aus 8 (made by Aichi Steel) and VG1 (made by Takefu Specislty Steel) are Japanese steels.

As far as I am aware the SRK has never been made in Taiwan. The Carbon V ones were made by Camillus. And when Camillus went under CS went to Taiwan production on many models. But they kept the SRK production with the Kinryu factory in Seki Japan, who has been making the Aus8 and Sanmai versions. I have no doubt they will be making the new solid VG1 version as well.

As for uncertainty about a solid VG1 blade of this size, I raised the same questions earlier this year.
Solid VG10 blades up to 5" have and do exist, but a 6" VG1 would be new to the world I think.

All SRK's have been made in the USA or Japan. I've used a fair amount of VG1 and I see it as being very simular to AUS8A. Both are good, solid steels. While I still prefer my Carbon V SRKs, I've beat the tar out of AUS8 and have been happy with it as well. Theres a review on YouTube of some guys beating up an AUS8 SRK. They are very tough.

Thank you for the info about both steels. I'm sorry I had wrong info about where the knife is produced. I saw the country of origin for the knife was Taiwan on multiple sites that sell (the regular model, the San Mai always says ). Clearly they were incorrect. Is AUS8a a different steel than regular AUS8? I saw that crazy destruction test on YouTube. Shows that knife us pretty much indestructible. Has anyone ever had to replace the handle? I've heard of the similar Fallkniven Kraton handle getting damaged without much in the way of being able to repair it. Made me curious about the SRK. So are you feeling like chipping out isn't a problem for this VG-1 steel? That's my biggest concern and my worry about them in both the new VG-1 and the San Mai laminated. Do you feel that the San Mai still has the edge (no pun intended) over the new solid VG-1? Thanks again.

Both Aus 8 (made by Aichi Steel) and VG1 (made by Takefu Specislty Steel) are Japanese steels.

As far as I am aware the SRK has never been made in Taiwan. The Carbon V ones were made by Camillus. And when Camillus went under CS went to Taiwan production on many models. But they kept the SRK production with the Kinryu factory in Seki Japan, who has been making the Aus8 and Sanmai versions. I have no doubt they will be making the new solid VG1 version as well.

As for uncertainty about a solid VG1 blade of this size, I raised the same questions earlier this year.
Solid VG10 blades up to 5" have and do exist, but a 6" VG1 would be new to the world I think.
CS made 6" Voyagers in VG1. ;) Fixed blades, you may well be correct.

I've used VG1 a lot and used to be quite satisfied with it. But compared to today's steels, it falls a bit short. Chipping can be an issue, although to be fair you'd have to do some serious chopping to make it happen. The SRK is a work knife, I own a Carbon V 2nd and it's an awesome knife. I would not trade it for any stainless steel. VG1 is better for folders, for the hard use/abuse an SRK might be asked to do, I actually think AUS8 is more appropriate, it is more forgiving of abuse, if less rust resistant.

Thank you for the info about both steels. I'm sorry I had wrong info about where the knife is produced. I saw the country of origin for the knife was Taiwan on multiple sites that sell (the regular model, the San Mai always says ). Clearly they were incorrect. Is AUS8a a different steel than regular AUS8? I saw that crazy destruction test on YouTube. Shows that knife us pretty much indestructible. Has anyone ever had to replace the handle? I've heard of the similar Fallkniven Kraton handle getting damaged without much in the way of being able to repair it. Made me curious about the SRK. So are you feeling like chipping out isn't a problem for this VG-1 steel? That's my biggest concern and my worry about them in both the new VG-1 and the San Mai laminated. Do you feel that the San Mai still has the edge (no pun intended) over the new solid VG-1? Thanks again.

You are right that a number of knife dealers' sites have incorrect info for the Aus8 SRK's origin. It's an understandable confusion as since 2006 Cold Steel moved the majority of their manufacturing to Taiwan but kept the Sanmai production in Japan. The manufacturer Aichi Steel calls their product Aus8 or 8A for export. In Japan they call it A8.
It is already annealed, and according to Aichi Steel there is no product called "Aus8A". But somewhere along the way, going way back to maybe the 1980s/early 90s Cold Steel put Aus8A in their catalogs and that term has remained in use. So the quick answer is yes, if you see Aus8 and Aus8A they are one and the same.

There are two main popular internet issues. One is that Kraton handles fall apart, crumble, disintegrate in sunlight or otherwise turn into some gooey unidentifiable substance. My SRK I bought in 1989. My MH I bought in 1994. Both say a lot of use and I didn't really take good care of them at all. And their kraton handles are just fine. So yes some people have had problems with kraton. Most people haven't. Certainly not enough for CS and others to stop using it as a handle material. The other is that VG1 (especially if it's CS) chips. I have 7 sanmai knives with the VG1 core and have never seen chipping. But others have. In fact I think everyone agrees that most stainless, not just VG1 is prone towards chipping rather than rolling like carbon steels. But then hitting bone, rock, cement, a steel rod, whatever with any knife will cause chipping regardless of steel type. And he fix whether it chips or rolls is the same, it needs to be sharpened out. If a VG1 knife chips for no rational reason, then clearly it needs to be sent back to CS. OK, admittedly I do NOT have a 6" solid VG1 fixed blade for obvious reasons so I have no idea how that would perform. If you are truly concerned, I would suggest you wait a year after the VG1 version comes out and see how the reviews look.

"CS made 6" Voyagers in VG1. Fixed blades, you may well be correct."

Ah yes you're right. Was only thinking about fixed blades since the topic was the SRK.

I dunno how I feel about full VG-1; San Mai III just has VG-1 at the core for a reason. I'd rather AUS8A, O-1 or CPM 3V.

Or just San Mai III. :)

The San Mai III SRK has a hollow grind. The VG1 and AUS8 SRK's are flat ground. Different edge geometries. The more apt comparison would be the AUS8 blades vs the VG1's. I'd Recon the VG1 would have better edge retention, and the AUS8 would be tougher.

I have the AUS8 SRK. I have thumped on it, and it has held up very well. I now keepnit in a get home/ICE bag in my trunk. I'd have ZERO reservations in trusting my life to it.

VG1 is a bit similar to 440C, but not exactly. You can expect similar performance, whereas AUS8 (there is no such thing as AUS8A...marketing hype) is similar to 420HC and is a step down. It should not chip, except often factory edges will because they are sharpened on machines and it ruins the edge temper. Once you sharpen a knife on stones the real tempered steel will come to the fore.

Back