CT Review

I took my Camp Tramp to west Texas over the hoilday to it a workout on my mother-in-laws property. There was plenty-o-firewood htat needed to be split and kindling to chop. The CT preformed great. I has quite a pile of wood going when my uncle finally arrived. His only remark was, "you did all that with a knife". After he arrived, the knife went back in its home and out came the chainsaws. I gave out, not the CT. While the blade was still covered with SAP and grime, it visually appeared to be in good shape, no dings or rolling at all. I was a happy man.

I do have one complaint though. While at a meager 5.9, my hands are the same size as my cousin's who is 6.3. I have read reports of fellow forumites praising the grips for their feel and tackyness. I agree with that, but with my large fingers I was able to rub a blister on the inside of my left thumb. Do you think that could be from the prolonged chopping, or have others spent lengthy amounts of time testing their blades. I was chopping steady for about two hours. Has anyone wrapped theirs with paracord to widen the handle?

All things aside, I love the knife. With all the chopping I did with the CT it out preformed my trusty Trailmaster. Yes I was a tried and true ColdSteel fan, but now I am a convert. If a 7.5 CT can out preform a 9" trailmaster, I cannot wait till I get a BattleRat!

cerberus,
Sounds like you gave the CT a workout, or maybe it gave you a workout ;):D:D

Thanks for the review, can't wait to hear what you do next :D:D

I finally got my CT out of the trunk last night. It has been in there since the Sunday after thanksgiving. I left it in there all grubbed up with tree sap and dirt to test its corosion resistance.

Well, it cleaned up and looks like new. It was not phased at all. The coating appears to be in tip top shape and I visually saw no signs of rust on the edge.

I am going to try my hand at stropping to restore the razor sharp edge that it had when I got it.

These knives are amazing!

Cerberus

great M/R man! Wait till you get the BR, it really is a handfull and glides through limbs like no tomorrow...

I prefer a weider grip myself. I don't like paracord as much as I find it goes slick with dirt fairly easily and is difficult to clean. I prefer a tape overlay with a tape that can be easily removed in layers, any decent self-adhesive tape will do. Lee Valley sells a couple of types of tapes that work very well at this together. They have a thick rubber tape that I use for the shaping and then I cover that with a green guard tape. The guard tape however is *very* abrasive and takes some getting used to, but there are lots of less abrasive tapes.

-Cliff

I appreciate the input.

Gundy.....I agree with you. I am trying to do some creative financing and get one for an early Christmas gift. It will be from my wife of course. She will be so surprised.!

Cliff.........Thanks for the info. I saw Lee Valley in one of your other posts and got on their catalog list. I should have them sometime this week. I will look for the tape when I get them.

Thanks again.

Cerberus

Back