Cubitron II 984FX Pro Belts

The Cubitron belts have been discussed on here already and the consensus was basically always that they are on the pricier side but they last quite long and work really well for hogging off material in lower grits.

Now it has come to my attention that there is a new-ish version of these belts: the 984FX Pro version (they are purple instead of red, so its easy to spot them). They are supposed to be even better, nicer and prettier than the other versions of course.

My question is has any of you had the opportunity to try these belts and if so, what has been your experience thus far?

Thanks and best regrads.

I will try to soon, thanks for posting this! So far when comparing the 36g cubitron 2 to the vsm actirox the latter is better for me.

Thats also good information, thank you. I have only tried the "normal" VSM ceramic belts (the red ones) and I have liked them for the price. I wasn't aware that they have a cubitron-esque variant as well. I am going to try to get a hold of these to try them out.

Edit: are those actirox VSM belts cheaper than the 3M cubitron in your experience?

Thats also good information, thank you. I have only tried the "normal" VSM ceramic belts (the red ones) and I have liked them for the price. I wasn't aware that they have a cubitron-esque variant as well. I am going to try to get a hold of these to try them out.

Edit: are those actirox VSM belts cheaper than the 3M cubitron in your experience?
They are slightly more expensive than the cubitrons but when you break it down per knife they are cheaper

I ordered a pair of the 3M Purple 36 belts from Pop's the other day. Look forward to see how they compare to the "old" version.

I'll look too, but I know with grinding belts, the conversation always needs more info when recommending belts.....

For me, I free hand grind with what would probably be considered light pressure.
Unfortunately, most belts are for high pressure fixture press hogging.

I wish pops would increase there belt offerings for grinders like me.

*I did get some good recommendations, just need to order some, from another place

I got a single 36 grit from tru-grit in December. Mostly because I was curious. I was impressed with the longevity, but my biggest takeaway was the pressure I needed to use. My grinder bogs down fairly easily, so I'm not able to really crank on my work pieces the way ceramics really need. The new belt? Didn't seem to mind the lower pressures at all and continued to hog off material like a champ.

Even though they are quite expensive, I was very impressed, and will probably continue to invest in them as my go-to 36 grit belt.

I got a single 36 grit from tru-grit in December. Mostly because I was curious. I was impressed with the longevity, but my biggest takeaway was the pressure I needed to use. My grinder bogs down fairly easily, so I'm not able to really crank on my work pieces the way ceramics really need. The new belt? Didn't seem to mind the lower pressures at all and continued to hog off material like a champ.

Even though they are quite expensive, I was very impressed, and will probably continue to invest in them as my go-to 36 grit belt.

You are talking about the belt from the OP?

Cubitron II 984FX Pro Belts?

Pops order arrived today, and just tried out the new purple Cubitron III 36 grit belt. It was hard to make a really meaningful comparison, as my old red colored Cubitron II was pretty worn. The new belt obviously cut faster, and didn't require a whole lot of pressure. It was a very cool cut. I dipped due to habit, but the metal ( Magnacut 61 HRC ) really only got warm, and never too hot to touch. So far, so good!

I finally got to try the new purple Cubitron 984FX Pro belts: I was impressed I have to say. Didn't require a lot of pressure and the grind was surprisingly cool, meaning that the workpeace only really got warm.
Have to try them for longer periods of time to make a meaningful comparison, but my first impression was good. Are they worth the pricetag? I don't know yet.

I have been through one. They do last longer. I think I use too much pressure. I am on a Razor Star now and it may be a bit more Jud resistant. If I would run faster and use less pressure, it would probably go twice as far. I did 4 Magnacut post HT and 14 AEBL pre HT with the purple 36. I did my post HT on the 14 AEBL and am doing micarta handles with the Razor Star now. This paper ivory from Hell is going to kill me. I pretty much am melting it off to get anywhere and am finding the angle grinder is proving to be a contender in the grinding game.

Back