Cuchillo De Monte

Has anyone out there used the Cuchillo De Monte for a camp knife? I think it's an Aitor product, but not sure. I saw one for sale on the internet and it looked like a decent all purpose outdoor knife, but if anyone has actually used one feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Lagarto

I have a Cuchillo de Monte. Aitor of Spain makes them for the Spanish Ejército de Tierra and is basically the same knife as the Oso Grande model. Aitor actually supplies knives for other European military and police units as well.

The Cuchillo de Monte is a hefty knife with a recurved blade of about 8 inches in length that makes a good chopper. I've taken mine along when camping and has taken care of all my cutting needs and the polymer grip makes it comfortable to hold and use. The blade has a double sided saw on the blade spine, but I've never bothered to use it since I find that the saw on my Wenger SAK works fine for me. The blade comes sharp and has the symbol of the Ejército de Tierra (like my Avatar). ;) The sheath is made of a hard polymer material and has openings on the sides so you can strap the sheath to your leg and also has the Spanish Army symbol.

cuchillodemonte.jpg

In the U.S. you can get the knife from CAS Iberia, Cutlery to Go, and Knifecenter.com, but shop around for a good price.

El Cid,
Thanks for the information, I just got my first Aitor, a JK II in the mail today. So far I'm fairly unimpressed. Decent knife, but dull as a butter knife, going to have to work on that when I have a chance. How was the Cuchillo De Monte, did it come sharp, or did you have to do a lot of work to it?
Thanks.
Lagarto

i was looking at the jk2 too. but the non full tang construction cemented my decision to look for something else. the top one on my list now is the A1:)

Lagarto, the Cuchillo de Monte I bought had a good working edge when I got it, but I eventually sharpened it to my liking.

Thanks El Cid,
Maybe I'll give Aitor one more chance, in a month or so. On the other hand, the cutlery company I dealt with, CTG is excellent.
Lagarto.

Back