Cult of the peanut , members

Thank you for snoozing! It's in my pocket again today...
View attachment 982901

I need to stay off the auction site though - I just picked up a 1940-64 yella 'nut sort of by accident...

Can't wait to see that one :thumbsup:

I have a theory...there is always something on the "auction site" you will want to buy. I could say the same for our own knife exchange too :) I have forbidden myself from visiting either until all of the 14s are done. However, there is a new persimmon orange bone Peanut out that I have been looking at closely :D

It's time for my 15 day update. I took on the 30 day challenge and I'm half way through! So far, my yellow CV Case has done almost everything I need from a pocket knife. The exception, as mentioned in my 1 week update, is cutting dessert type bread. I wasn't willing to cut a loaf of pumpkin bread with it the first week and last Saturday was even worse. My wife bought a loaf of Amish cinnamon bread that was even thicker than the pumpkin bread. This bread also tends to fall apart when you cut it. There was no elegant way to cut it with a little peanut so I again used a disposable plastic knife. Other than that, no problems.

I'll do a final update at 30 days unless something stops me from completing the challenge earlier.

Thank you, Paul! Good update.:thumbsup:

The food thing with loaves of bread is the sole EDC job the little knives fail at. The peanut, Victoriox 58mm's like the classic and rambler and mini champ and the Buck 309 and 305 pen knife don't do good with thick bread or fruit. We have to settle for the fact that it mostly does stuff so well as far as opening mail, cutting string/twine, breaking down a cardboard box, and even cleaning a panfish right out of the water.

Can't wait to see that one :thumbsup:

I have a theory...there is always something on the "auction site" you will want to buy. I could say the same for our own knife exchange too :) I have forbidden myself from visiting either until all of the 14s are done. However, there is a new persimmon orange bone Peanut out that I have been looking at closely :D

It came in yesterday... couldn't see the whole tang stamp in photos - it's actually a 65-69. Had a few issues, so I spent yesterday tightening up the pivot, closing gaps, polishing bolsters, smoothing out the delrin a bit, centering both blades, straightening liners and putting a new tip/edge on the blades... leaving the blade finish alone, I'm thinking some patina will cover that up nicely :)

20180916_085221-1435x1008.jpg

Last edited:
My bathroom remodel is almost complete. The peanut has helped a lot. The mighty little legume has cut and carved. It has scrapped and trimmed. It even did some drilling and reaming. It sure has done its job as a pocket knife.
3rRrBVA.jpg

KkyrRva.jpg

ANcvMPc.jpg

Nice job HeathH, great looking yeller you have over there, you just put many years back into its use. Congrats.

It came in yesterday... couldn't see the whole tang stamp in photos - it's actually a 65-69. Had a few issues, so I spent yesterday tightening up the pivot, closing gaps, polishing bolsters, smoothing out the delrin a bit, centering both blades, straightening liners and putting a new tip/edge on the blades... leaving the blade finish alone, I'm thinking some patina will cover that up nicely :)

View attachment 986192

The peanut almost never disappoints, and I see you have done a great job there. Nice.

My bathroom remodel is almost complete. The peanut has helped a lot. The mighty little legume has cut and carved. It has scrapped and trimmed. It even did some drilling and reaming. It sure has done its job as a pocket knife.
3rRrBVA.jpg

KkyrRva.jpg

ANcvMPc.jpg

Yeah, I had a green one at some point, pocket worn, but SS. You are right, one in CV would look awesome.

The peanut is more than enough knife for most EDC task. My only complaint is Case doesnt make enough options in CV. I would love a bermuda green peanut with CV blades.
View attachment 986772

Nice job HeathH, great looking yeller you have over there, you just put many years back into its use. Congrats.

Thanks sir! All the little difference between the older and newer nuts have been interesting to note. I should do a pictorial with that and my modern Yellow showing some of them, but I have a broken backspring on my 2014 version that still needs to go to Case to patch up. Side by side, the older model is longer (it might go a gargantuan 3" closed), thinner through the bolsters and covers, has thinner blades that look to be FFG and more crisp half stops. The hafting goes around the backsprings on the old guy, giving it a more rounded feel. Due I think to the thicker blades and handle, the newer one feels more robust, but I definitely prefer the older one. It just feels more refined and higher quality, overall.

That said, it hasn't kicked the Stag/CV out of my pocket!

The peanut is more than enough knife for most EDC task. My only complaint is Case doesnt make enough options in CV. I would love a bermuda green peanut with CV blades.
View attachment 986772

Beautiful Chestnut! I agree with you on the lack of availability in CV blades. I was exited to hear about the pocket worn whisky bone in CV, but to me it looks like a poorly dyed Chestnut. Let's hope next year brings out a different bone and CV combo!

Thanks sir! All the little difference between the older and newer nuts have been interesting to note. I should do a pictorial with that and my modern Yellow showing some of them, but I have a broken backspring on my 2014 version that still needs to go to Case to patch up. Side by side, the older model is longer (it might go a gargantuan 3" closed), thinner through the bolsters and covers, has thinner blades that look to be FFG and more crisp half stops. The hafting goes around the backsprings on the old guy, giving it a more rounded feel. Due I think to the thicker blades and handle, the newer one feels more robust, but I definitely prefer the older one. It just feels more refined and higher quality, overall.

Beautiful Chestnut! I agree with you on the lack of availability in CV blades. I was exited to hear about the pocket worn whisky bone in CV, but to me it looks like a poorly dyed Chestnut. Let's hope next year brings out a different bone and CV combo!
Agreed, Ive been on the fence about the whiskey bone. I may bite the bullet just to see one in hand. Hopefully they do a few CV in some stag, blue bone, green bone. A guy can wish!

Yeah, you really should do that pictorial, whenever you have the time. Can't wait to read it.
Me too, I prefer the stockman 18 made with thinner blades, done like that by mistake I believe, because others, made later, are double in thickness, and this one was made I think in 2009 as it only has one star under Case on the clip blade.
My peanut from 2010 is very thin as compared to my other two, and it has the markings of being made in 2010.

Lost for real this time!

I am sad to share that I’ve lost my beloved peanut. I thought I put it inside pocket of my work bag, but I think I mistakenly put it under a bag strap. Who knows where it fell out but it’s gone. Knives show up again sometimes, but probably not this time.

My hope is someone picks it up and enjoys it through many years of good use. Farewell!! Here is the last pic I took, you may remember it.

G5YVe3f.jpg

Lost for real this time!

I am sad to share that I’ve lost my beloved peanut. I thought I put it inside pocket of my work bag, but I think I mistakenly put it under a bag strap. Who knows where it fell out but it’s gone. Knives show up again sometimes, but probably not this time.

My hope is someone picks it up and enjoys it through many years of good use. Farewell!! Here is the last pic I took, you may remember it.

G5YVe3f.jpg

Yeah, I remember the magnet story with your peanut. Hopefully it will return somehow...for you especially or for others to enjoy, and know the value of the small legume.
And otherwise, I'd say it's time for another peanut.

@Gary W. Graley I recently gifted a yellow CV Peanut and finally got to reuse your amazing packaging :) The recipient was very impressed and I told him I did that all by myself :D j/k I told him you were the best knife packagerer in the business. It was a really nice Peanut though I rarely see them with a perfectly straight main blade.
YellowCV_01.jpg
YellowCV_02.jpg
YellowCV_03.jpg
YellowCV_04.jpg

Lost for real this time!

G5YVe3f.jpg

While not a Case, I happen to have a Camillus Model 21 Pony Jack that would be honored to stand in for your M.I.A. peanut, and I would be more than happy to send you.

Back