1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cumming Bladeworks USA

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I have designed a line of knives to be made under the name Cumming Bladeworks USA. These are not Fiddleback knives at all. I will not be making the knives, but they will be made here by the apprentices on staff. We are working on branding and marks right now. These knives will not be recognizable as Fiddleback Forge knives. So far there are 8 designs ranging from an Altoids tin sized knife up to a big hunting knife and a filet knife. We won't be selling them here at the forum. They will be sold by dealers. We will be posting pics on Instagram and under Cumming Bladeworks USA.

2. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Interested to see and hear more about this!

Oyster likes this.
  3. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Best of luck on your new venture!

Oyster likes this.
  4. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    That's an ingenious idea!

Fiddleback likes this.
  6. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    Maybe to advanced to answer this, but what are some of the steel considerations for this line and will there be some similar options as far is SFT and TT?

Oyster likes this.
  7. Oyster

Oyster Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2011
    ^ This +1

8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    AEB-L
    .118" & .040"
    SFT

Oyster, Nbrackett and Choppaman like this.
  9. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I imagine something along the production line is what will be executed. A high quality stainless knife that has Andy's design elements and the straightforwardness of the production models, i.e. no fancy handle configurations, exotic handle materials, no TT, ect. I can see these being thinner and high quality, although not a "super steel", thus you should be able to buy at least 5-10 of the models you like to keep in each of your backpacks, glove box and readily give as gifts. Very exciting!

varga49, Nbrackett and Choppaman like this.
  10. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015

There you go...

Nbrackett likes this.
  11. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    .040"! Be still my heart!

Will CBW have its own Instagram page? #importantquestions

12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    @cummingbladeworksusa

varga49, Choppaman and Wurrwulf like this.
  13. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    There will not be tapered tangs, liners, bullseye tubes or crazy pinouts. The knives are going to be made from AEB-L steel. The idea is to try to hit a much lower price point. The designs themselves by their nature will be efficient to make. Kyle noticed a huge difference right away. I learned this from the Pygmy and that set of knives and have expanded the idea in these designs. The amount of thicknesses available with AEB-L is exciting. We can go down to .040 and will make some kitchen designs soon and the filet knife jumped out of me when I saw this. But even more exciting to me is the .098 and .118" thicknesses. Just shy of 1/8" thick. I like that for bushcraft a lot.

FYI, we plan to change nothing about what we are doing per week in Fiddleback Forge, and appreciate y'alls support. (Well, one thing will change. We're going to use that .040 stuff to make some Padre's.)

kmellino, hasco, CAD and 11 others like this.
  14. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    @Fiddleback VERY cool Andy. Can't wait to see some of these!

Fiddleback likes this.
  15. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    will any of these come with saw teeth on the spine, partial serrations. also with built in brass knuckles and a spiked pommel? Basically a ninja model.

I couldn't figure out why I was following this already on Instagram

schmittie and Fiddleback like this.
  16. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    This sounds like an awesome idea. Looking forward to seeing more!

17. TXGatorbait

TXGatorbait Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Big :thumbsup: here

Choppaman likes this.
  18. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Great idea! AEB-L is a great steel, and I think having a third price point makes good sense. Is the production line going to shrivel on the vine as a result, though?

19. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I agree, Aeb-L is a great well balanced steel. Takes a razors edge easily. I think this line is going to be very successful.

20. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    big question...when can we buy one of these?