• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Cup of Bow Legged Joe

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
We all love the traditional Fiddleback drop-point bushcraft blades, and the hunters and camp knives are well renowned.

However, among these knives there exists somewhat of an odd-fellow. The cleaver-like, wharncliffed bow legged series of knives.

I recently came upon a variant of these from 2012, the Bow Legged Belt Knife. This one is stamped "Andy Roy" on the bottom.

Please share photos of your bow legged variants, joes, and similarly styled Fiddleback knives :peach: :strawberry: :tyrannosaurus:

tFjdyak.jpg

8QGNeaQ.jpg

l5E9guj.jpg

Cool pics guys. The Bow Legged Joe was designed on a post it note during one of the many hours of sitting in meetings back when I was an engineer.

I have a couple I will add to the thread. I got the BLJ recently in a trade with Busch.Hacker, the 3FJ my wife got from Andy for my Birthday a couple of years ago. I like the BLJ but think I have a preference for the size of the 3FJ and it is one of my regular EDC rotation knives.

I drew the Bow Legged Joe, and the Runt on post it notes during a long meeting that I had no part in way back in 2007/8-ish. Then at my first Blade Show I sold more Bow Legged Joes than anything else. So I designed a few bigger variants. During the run up to the following Blade Show I wanted something HUGE to stop people at the show from passing my table. That is how/why the Bow Legged Chopper was designed. It worked.

The Runt was the precursor for the Ladyfinger, Hunter, and Woodsman. Then the Ladyfinger became the inspiration for the Bushfinger. The Bushfinger design was the first to remove the sinuous curve out of the spine of the knife. Then I re-designed the Hunter, Woodsman, and the earlier Bushcrafter to remove that curve. The Ladyfinger and the Runt still feature this curve.

Those two designs on a post it note, as I look back became the foundations for my skills as a designer.

Great explanation, Andy! I like hearing about how the patterns were created, and I learn so much from your posts, so thanks!

I love me some sinuous curves. ;)

Back