1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Curious Maxamet Patina

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by lieferung, Aug 4, 2019.

1. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    Just thought I'd share this picture of a forced patina on a factory Maxamet Native I'd seen on reddit. The circle around the spydie hole was not created intentionally and it appears centered on the hole. Any idea what could've done this in the production cycle?

[​IMG]

2. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    The laser that cuts the spyder hole maybe?

3. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004
    Huh, I never realized the holes were laser cut. I guess I always assumed they were drilled out.

4. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Maybe somehow the blade’s heat treat got altered when the hole was cut? I assume they cut the holes pre-heat treat so maybe the steel was altered somehow at that point?

I would send this to Spyderco, it’s super interesting. @Sal Glesser any idea?

5. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    What does the other side look like?

6. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Very cool.
    Looks like the little rascals dog.

MMGRenovations and Lapedog like this.
  7. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I would agree that there are different hardnesses on that blade. The area around the hole was probably tempered by residual heat that either the laser that cut it or the mill that ground it out generated, however they do it. I have a TOPS knife that I stripped and then forced a vinegar patina on. The knife is differentially heat treated and the harder area of the blade is very dark, almost black. The spine side and most of the primary bevel is more of a gun metal gray. The real test would be to find another maxamet bladed spyderco and do the same to it and see if the results are the same

steff27 likes this.
  8. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Wow! Compared to that one, the blotchy looking, naturally obtained patina on mine looks great.
    [​IMG]

Lapedog likes this.
  9. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm not a knife maker & I'm not an expert on metallurgy, so maybe I'm wrong, but I call BS. I find it hard to believe that a difference in hardness, or heat treat would make the absence of patina come out so perfectly. It looks to me like a 1 3/8" rubber washer was centered on the Spydy hole & tightened down before the patina was forced. But like I said, I've been wrong before.

I'd like to see the other side.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Riz! likes this.
  10. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
  11. lieferung

May 24, 2016
    I couldn't figure out how to share the reddit link on mobile, but there's no reason the person lied about their methods. They went into more detail but it was a vinegar forced patina.

12. lieferung

May 24, 2016
    Supposedly the same circle.

13. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Having broken an M2 Maxamet blade right through the hole, it would make sense for Spyderco to emphasize toughness, not HRC in that area.

14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    It really looks like it was masked off prior to the wash.

IF it really related to the material or a differential heat treat it would be showing up on everyone's knife not just this one.

Riz! likes this.
  15. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    If it were differential heat treat I don't think we would see a perfect circle. I also don't think it would be the cutting/blanking method. Wouldn't you see it all around the knife?

My manix2 in maxamet is developing the normal blotchy patina naturally. No circle on mine.

16. lieferung

May 24, 2016
    Here is the original post and here is the poster's methods:

Also noteworthy I think, though not entirely helpful, is another person says their Advocate did the same thing when they forced a patina. Although without pictures it isn't exactly compelling.