Current New York/NYC laws

gamma_nyc

Gold Member
I like fixed blade < 4" and not terribly scary looking. I think a design like this David Mary David Mary Custom works really well when (easily!) concealed. I worked with David to spec it out, which is great when you have all sorts of different knife laws in whatever jurisdiction you live in... and would heartily recommend him for making a great custom and legal fixed blade.

Attachments

• EDC_May 2021.jpeg
    EDC_May 2021.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3

T.J. H

Platinum Member
Intent is a huge part of NY knife laws. You cannot carry for self defense purposes. You can carry if it’s a tool you use for work. You can use it in a self defense scenario, but not acknowledge that you were carrying for those purposes. That being said, I carry everyday in NYC with pocket clip exposed. YMMV. NY weapon laws are purposely vague so they can use them against you. I don’t recall reading about a designated max length. Generally, the NYPD are very fair. If you’re a decent person most likely you’ll be ok carrying. Using it is a different scenario. Like I said, YMMV.

tom19176

Gold Member
Intent is a huge part of NY knife laws. You cannot carry for self defense purposes. You can carry if it’s a tool you use for work. You can use it in a self defense scenario, but not acknowledge that you were carrying for those purposes. That being said, I carry everyday in NYC with pocket clip exposed. YMMV. NY weapon laws are purposely vague so they can use them against you. I don’t recall reading about a designated max length. Generally, the NYPD are very fair. If you’re a decent person most likely you’ll be ok carrying. Using it is a different scenario. Like I said, YMMV.
Can't agree with this. The NYC Admin Code limits blade length to 4" or less. It is a violation of the Admin Code to have the knife exposed which includes a pocket clip. There is an exception for going to and from work if the knife is used for work. Before the recent change in the NYS law on gravity knives, the CPW 4 arrest was done on the basis of 10,000 per year.
The part you state as carry for self defense is correct as that in itself makes it a dangerous knife and therefore a violation, but the design of the knife can also deem it to be a dangerous knife.
There are still knife arrests being made, but they are not as frequent since the gravity knife law changed.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC