Currently working on a dagger stuck on the primary bevel angle

This is my first knife I’ve ever made and I’ve done the math for the angle I should bevel it, 7.5° it will be double sided aswell, just wondering if that’s an ok angle or if there are any problems with it in particular please let me know thanks in advance

Blasted Hill Knives Blasted Hill Knives Hey Mike give the guy a hand please!🙏

wajgy wajgy Can you help this guy Petr??
Figured your awake at this hour😉
It’s hard to say without knowing the other dimensions (width and thickness). If this is your first knife, I would suggest not getting mathematical about it at all. Draw a line and grind to it. Not to discourage you, but my first 25 knives ended up in the trash. Grinding is a skill learned over time with practice. Muscle memory takes time to develop. Practice for a while, don’t worry about the end product. You will improve over time and eventually make something that resembles a knife. It’s all about practice and repetition. Good luck!

It’s hard to say without knowing the other dimensions (width and thickness). If this is your first knife, I would suggest not getting mathematical about it at all. Draw a line and grind to it. Not to discourage you, but my first 25 knives ended up in the trash. Grinding is a skill learned over time with practice. Muscle memory takes time to develop. Practice for a while, don’t worry about the end product. You will improve over time and eventually make something that resembles a knife. It’s all about practice and repetition. Good luck!

Appreciate your input my friend!! 👍👍👍.....Always wanna see a new guy succeed...

Welcome Bladesmithh. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.
I went by "Bladsmth" and then "Bladesmith" for many years before switching to my real name.

Forget the angle. It will just cause you pain. Do as suggested and scribe/draw a centerline and grind/file up to it in steps. I heavily recommen filing the bevels for a beginner.
Don't do any one bevel all at once. Do each halfway, then each 3/4, 7/8, etc. until just before they meet in the center. From there go to finer files of grits. When going to hand sanding a stiff backing block (aluminum or hardwood) is a necessity. Coating the blade with a black marker or blue Dykem (best choice) is a wise decision to help you when grinding/filing bevels. If all goes well the final line will be straight and centered and the tip will still be in the middle. Don't panic if it doesn't happen that way. Adjust as needed to even it out and quit when it is as close as you can get it.

Welcome Bladesmithh. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.
I went by "Bladsmth" and then "Bladesmith" for many years before switching to my real name.

Forget the angle. It will just cause you pain. Do as suggested and scribe/draw a centerline and grind/file up to it in steps. I heavily recommen filing the bevels for a beginner.
Don't do any one bevel all at once. Do each halfway, then each 3/4, 7/8, etc. until just before they meet in the center. From there go to finer files of grits. When going to hand sanding a stiff backing block (aluminum or hardwood) is a necessity. Coating the blade with a black marker or blue Dykem (best choice) is a wise decision to help you when grinding/filing bevels. If all goes well the final line will be straight and centered and the tip will still be in the middle. Don't panic if it doesn't happen that way. Adjust as needed to even it out and quit when it is as close as you can get it.
Even if I will be using a beveling jig? Then how to I find the angle for my jig if so

Even if I will be using a beveling jig? Then how to I find the angle for my jig if so
You can start with an angle that is too obtuse. File all the way around, all the bevels, like Stacy suggested, almost to the point where the bevels meet at the edges, and then lower the angle, repeat. I did this with a jig on the grinder, which is more dangerous as you remove more material than with filing. Since filing is slower, you should be able to dial in the angle as you go, without much trouble.

Sme knives don't do well on a filing jig. The taper of the to on a dagger and te double bevel make it start to drift at the tip.
pafka has good advice on sneaking up to the center ridge. You will still have to hand file the tip to finish it.

Back