Curved blades

Whats the best type of sharpener for curved blades? To me it doesn't seem like the Lansky type sharpener would work very well, but then again I don't know squat about sharpening knives. Also whats the best type for S30v.

Thanks, Albie

My Method For S-30v Is To Not Let It Get Dull.i Just Use A Small Ceramic Stick Every Once In A While And It Works Great.it Keeps It At A Razor's Edge.

damn it's confusing reading a sentence where every word starts in upper case... save yourself the effort, man.

i have a couple of real curvy blades (my ECA P-Tac comes to mind) and imho a std bench stone works best when its really dull (diamond is nice by the way) and a spyderco sharpmaker if it just needs a touchup.

i have a couple of real curvy blades (my ECA P-Tac comes to mind) and imho a std bench stone works best when its really dull (diamond is nice by the way) and a spyderco sharpmaker if it just needs a touchup.

Excuse my ignorance but, is a "standard bench hone" just one of rectangle stones that have been around for so many years? I would kinda like to stay away from one of those for the time being because they seem to take the most time to learn. Eventually I'll maybe try one but I like the sticks a little better.

Like stated above, it sounds like not letting it get to dull is the key.

If you are talking about a recurve blade then I highly recommend a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. Spyderco also has a set of ceramic files which have 2 radii surfaces that also work well sharpening recurves, Hawkbills, Reverse S and many other non standard blades. Check it out. :)

The 204 works great IF you don't need to do any extensive reprofiling. I reprofiled and sharpened a Kershaw Boa on my Edge Pro Apex and it turned out very well. It took about three hours start to finish, but damn was it sharp when it was done! The time factor was mostly because of the steel, S60V is a seriously wear resistant steel.

Yeah I am leaning towards a sharpmaker, my buddy had one and it worked pretty nice.The Edge Pro's seem to be really nice also. Anyway the knife I am referring to is a Zero Tolerance and it has the S30V blade. It sounds like the trick is to not let it get too dull and I should be ok.

Back