1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Custom alu-SAK with 5 layers

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by samek, Mar 11, 2008.

1. samek

samek

May 7, 2003
    No one of existing knives performs all my damands for every day working knife, altrough the Victorinox knife with alu scales, knife blade, reamer - punch, wood saw, little curved blade and bottle opener/screwdriver is the closest.

My demands/wishes are:
    - knife shuld be more or less undestructabe, resistant and usefull
    - it should have two big blades (one always stays sharp)
    - it should have a selection of different little and middle sized blades for woodcutting and carving
    - if possible a wood saw and reamer to round wood working possibilitys
    - it should be not to thick

After a long time of making planes I put together MY own knife made from 3 different alu VIC stock knives (Pioneer 0.80 60.26, 0.80 50.26 in 0.81 30.26.).

The middle sized blade I made from one of big blades. Nail notch I made myself. Cutting in alu scale was required - because of accessibility to a blade behind it. I have to made 1 custom spacer from brass.

I am very satisfied with my new knife! I love it!

Samek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Incredible! They need to hire you as their designer. That's a great combination of tools and excellent execution, too.

3. miro44

miro44

Oct 28, 2007
    wow, that looks perfect for woodwork, i really like that alot:cool:

4. MSCantrell

MSCantrell KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 12, 2005
    Fabulous!

So how did you get the old pins/rivets out, and what did you use for new pins/rivets?

5. CaptInsano

CaptInsano

Apr 11, 2007
    WOW! That looks VERY well done.

6. scattershot

scattershot

May 31, 2007
    really like that reshaped blade.You shouldn't run out of sharp edges, for a while!

7. tcolling

tcolling

Nov 29, 2005
    Neat! What a great selection of blades!

8. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Beautiful work! :)

9. samek

samek

May 7, 2003
    1. I mark the center of the rivet and drill it out. The middle rivet is 2.5 mm thick, other two 3,0 mm. I use a thinner drill - 2,0 and 2,5 mm. So I don't damage alu slabs.
    2. New pins: I use brass round rods, made for gas welding. It is good to heat (to glow) them before use, because in original they are a little to brittle. (A little to brittle - I like it, I'm a poet :))

10. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Very nice:thumbup:

11. sunshaker

sunshaker

Sep 22, 2007
    You should post that on the SOSAK forum.

12. tholiver

tholiver

Feb 22, 2003
    Great job!
    :)

13. patsknives

patsknives

Aug 29, 2006
    Zakon Samek :thumbup:

Nice job on that one. Specialy on the selection(you have them all) of blades.

14. tacticaloperator

tacticaloperator

Aug 8, 2004
    That's a lot of blades :D but to each one his own.
    For me the perfect SAK would be a Soldier plus scissors.
    Or an Explorer with Alox scales.
    Are you taking orders?

15. user24

user24

Nov 10, 2006
    wowwwww! nice.