Custom Armoralleather Sheath for a large Custom Bowie

Ok, so I wanted a very specific sheath for a very special custom forged Bowie. Dwayne came recommended by some on this forum and we began our chats. Dwayne said he’d be able to accommodate me and that it was right up his alley...well...he wasn’t lying! I mean he crushed it.

This sheath is amazing. It is super ornate, but subtle, beefy, but sleek, gorgeous, but rugged! I freaking love it!

Here are some pics to enjoy. First the components separate (frog, sheath, and leg strap):

DB9_E7_B16_228_D_477_E_98_FE_90_D50_C441_F22.jpg

Some detail shots of sheath and frog:

833_FD4_B6_6_E64_48_F8_92_EA_644943_BA2643.jpg

AF21883_E_CC86_421_C_AED2_66_AFDE13_F7_D8.jpg

FC6_E0539_61_FF_4_CF1_AF45_6_A36_D89_D1_ACD.jpg

D307_BABB_4_BCE_4_A95_8_DD7_3363105_AAF55.jpg

And all assembled:
9_DF43_D9_C_59_E2_4493_AA96_D3_CB1_DEDFB7_E.jpg

This is an amazing sheath and trust me the pictures do not do it justice. In person it is so much more impressive.

Any questions just ask, I just wanted to share a sheath I’m proud of.

That is some amazing work !!!! Dwayne is a master with leather work, his work always amazes me. And I have to say I have a few of his sheaths :) and his work was a leading reason as to why I’m getting into leather work. Plus Dwayne’s sheaths are durable as they are beautiful :)

Congrats on a great set up there !

Really big and bad! Looks like 8-10 oz. can’t figure out the finish on the face. Did you “rag” it? Gorgeous!
Thank you! The leather I use is 8/9 ounce, which is the weight I use almost exclusively. The color is a "mottle" technique I developed many years ago, now I have about a half dozen different styles I do and always experimenting. The final finish is Atom Wax with an over coat of Aussie Leather Conditioner. It makes for a nice mellow finish and its water resistant. The atom wax my itself is not so the reason for the Aussie stuff. Thank you for the question! And please feel free to ask any others you have!

That is some amazing work !!!! Dwayne is a master with leather work, his work always amazes me. And I have to say I have a few of his sheaths :) and his work was a leading reason as to why I’m getting into leather work. Plus Dwayne’s sheaths are durable as they are beautiful :)

Congrats on a great set up there !
Thanks man! I really appreciate it!
EDIT: Ooops! Looks like my craftsman membership has expired, time to scrape the bottom of the barrel and dig under the sofa cushions!!! :eek:

Thanks for your in depth response. As a former upholsterer, I did a lot of “trapunto” work. I recently set a birthstone into a piece, then skived and stitched onto the sheath. Lots of depth and relief. Seems as though the technique might work for heavy leather.

Ok, so I wanted a very specific sheath for a very special custom forged Bowie. Dwayne came recommended by some on this forum and we began our chats. Dwayne said he’d be able to accommodate me and that it was right up his alley...well...he wasn’t lying! I mean he crushed it.

This sheath is amazing. It is super ornate, but subtle, beefy, but sleek, gorgeous, but rugged! I freaking love it!

Here are some pics to enjoy. First the components separate (frog, sheath, and leg strap):
Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox
DB9_E7_B16_228_D_477_E_98_FE_90_D50_C441_F22.jpg

Some detail shots of sheath and frog:

833_FD4_B6_6_E64_48_F8_92_EA_644943_BA2643.jpg

AF21883_E_CC86_421_C_AED2_66_AFDE13_F7_D8.jpg

FC6_E0539_61_FF_4_CF1_AF45_6_A36_D89_D1_ACD.jpg

D307_BABB_4_BCE_4_A95_8_DD7_3363105_AAF55.jpg

And all assembled:
9_DF43_D9_C_59_E2_4493_AA96_D3_CB1_DEDFB7_E.jpg

This is an amazing sheath and trust me the pictures do not do it justice. In person it is so much more impressive.

Any questions just ask, I just wanted to share a sheath I’m proud of.

Last edited:
Great example of why out of all the great craftsmen and sheath makers, for my taste and standards, Armorall really stands out. Great materials, efficiently designed expertly crafted, and built like a tank but the thing that I truly like best about Armorall sheaths is the way they follow the lines of the knife. I love my knives, I love their shape and I like to see that shape in the sheath.

Back