Custom boning knife, recent work.

Here's a boning knife I made to a customer's specs. The blade is 8" long by just a shade over 1/2" wide. It is forged out of a large 52100 tapered roller bearing and flat ground. It has a medium amount of flex, and the edge is about 0.015 before sharpening. Spine is max .110-ish with a long distal taper. There is a slight reverse sori effect from the quench.

The handle is stabilized Bocote burl from Alpha Knife Supply. Stainless dovetailed bolsters, no tang taper, 5/16" stainless Corby bolts.

Hope you enjoy looking, questions are welcome.

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG

IMG_7715.JPG

I like it. The blade is longer than I personally would like but an 8'' blade on a boning knife certainly isn't unheard of. The knife looks very well built....I'd use it. :)

Thanks, Morrow. The customer did want the blade longer than usual, it had a stout fillet knife kind of feel to it.

Thanks, Morrow. The customer did want the blade longer than usual, it had a stout fillet knife kind of feel to it.

I had something similar made (a stout fillet knife) and find myself using it an awful lot...much more than I ever thought I would.

Back