Custom Camo..Whatcha Think ??

Hey Guys...

Heres a couple sheaths I've been working on,,
The top knife is a Busse Natural Outlaw...

2camo.jpg

Whatcha Think..

ttyle

Eric...

I like it!!

The layering effect is quite visually exciting, and i imagine it would be even more so in person. Is there any way to get the two layers to fully bond together? Just a thought.

James

Hey James...

Thanks..Yaa I thought they were pretty cool..

The patterning is on both sides,,so it is Ambi as well...

I thought about bonding the two,,but decided against it...
Would be hard to get a nice clean look without glue seeping out everywhere like that..

This works well..Any dust or dirt getting in the can be scrubbed and washed out...
I got mine dirty this weekend camping and it cleaned up pretty good...

Thanks for the comments..

ttyle

Eric...

hi Eric,

Very cool effect. IMHO using layering as a way to achieve it was absolutely ingenious!! :cool:

It may be possible to bond the layers together by painting/injecting the layer boundaries with a plastics solvent after constructing the sheath. Sort of like using PVC solvent welding to surface-bond plastic house plumbing together. There was some info on mixing MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone, available at any paint store or home center) with paint to airbrush onto kydex. The MEK will apparently break down the slick kydex skin enough for the paint to grab onto the surface. So MEK may be usable as a solvent to "weld" the edges of the layers together.

I will send email to Kleerdex and see what they recommend.

Yours in nuclear edge bonding experiments,
Greg

Very very nice, what mounting options does it support, and how much do you charge for that NO sheath? Feel free to email me if that would be more appropriate.

Eric,I really like it,only one problem,....I did not know you had it when I bought my SJ sheath from you,darn!Something I have always thought about camo is how important it is to achieve a 3-d effect.Lighting and shadows in an outdoor enviroment is ever prevalent and can be hard to accomplish with just a painted pattern.That is why the guilly(spelled wrong)suit was invented to break up patterns.If you offered that in white,sand and dark grey that would be really awesome.I hope to try my sheath out this weekend,will let you know!

It looks cool, but I would worry that those extra pieces of material might get hung up on other gear. I could very easily picture the sheath getting caught on a piece of cord or clothing...

Hey Wulf..

The skin is very tight to the sheath body..
Unless you are in some Seriously tight situations,,it's not going to be a problem...

Like I said earlier,,the skin doesn't flop around..

ttyle

Eric...

Tech support at Kleerdex, the mfr of kydex, recommends using tetrahydrofuran (THF) to "weld" kydex pieces together. THF is a PVC solvent of some sort. Cure time will depend on amount of THF applied, amount of moisture in the air, and temperature at which it cures. At house room temps, the engineer said to give it about 24 hours, so this is not a real quick curing solvent.

According to the guy at a local plumbing supply house, there's THF (plus MEK) in a multi-purpose plastics cement made by IPS. That might work for chemical kydex welding.

You can also get straight THF from The Science Alliance website: http://www.sciencealliance.com Price is $33 or $55 per liter depending on grade.

The MSDS on THF is here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/t1222.htm Be sure to read this if you're thinking of working with THF.

Hey Rok..

Thanks for the info..

I'm aware of these glues and bonding agents..
It would be a messy application at best..

The end prodect wouldn't have a very clean look...

Bonding the skin to the sheath body isn't really needed as it has a pretty tight fit of it's own..

Thanks

Eric...

Eric,
These are very nice looking :eek: Might have to get one of these.

What other colors of Kydex are available? ;):D:D

I hope you keep experimenting with color combinations and posting pictures of them. I think I would like these with the green as the base color and black over that. Oh, by the way, those things are awesome.

YOWZA! Very Cool! This is the first time I've seen anything like this! Awesome! It's like a "Ghoullie Sheath". Breaks the profile and texture in 3-D. . . . Very Nice!

Yours in Nuclear Ghoullie Sheaths,

Jerry

Back