Custom Concealex Sheaths (pics)

There has been quite a bit of interest in custom Concealex/Kydex sheaths so I thought folks might enjoy seeing a couple of examples of sheaths that Mike Sastre (VideoSAS@aol.com) made up for me.

The first is an IWB for a Peter Bauchop Utility Cat.
UtiliCat2.jpg

Here is the same knife in the sheath shown with a belt plate next to it. The belt plate is multi-position and allows for vertical or 45 degree, cross-draw, carry on belts up to 2" wide.
UtiliCat1.jpg

The next is an IWB rig in CF pattern Concealex for an AG Russell Sting. Although IBW will be the primary carry mode, I had Mike add grommets that would allow for neck carry as an option.
Sting%201.jpg

For comparison purposes, here is the Sting with my REKAT Hobbit Fang, my daily neck carry.
Sting%202.jpg

Finally, here is a pic comparing the Fang & Sting blades without sheaths. I know the topic is sheaths, but these are a couple of my favorite small fixed blades. I'd love to see the Sting back in production & I intend to pick up a couple more Fangs before they are gone from the scene too. I think there's a pattern here -- love a knife & it gets discontinued.
smile.gif

Sting%203.jpg

The quality of the pictures isn't the greatest, but the sheaths are -- top quality function, fit, and finish.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 08 September 1999).]

Brian,

I'm sitting here looking at my own A.G. Russell Sting dated 1977. I bought mine at Paragon in NYC around 1980. I bought the smaller of two offered, mine has a 3 ¼ " blade. Many good memories associated with this blade.

The new sheath is very nice, what happened to the original sheath? I always thought the original sheath was a good example of the simple elegance in a design.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

LD,
Hey there, another NYer -- The Sting pictured has the 3 1/4 " blade. I also have the larger Sting, 3 3/4" blade, with different handle material.

My original sheath for the smaller Sting is black Cordura over a stiffer material of some sort with a plastic belt/boot clip. (I don't recall exactly when I got it, but the early 80's sounds about right.) I believe the welt is rubber and the knife is held in position by cut outs in the welt that match the grooves on the front bolster. The fit was fairly good at first but not secure enough for inverted carry by any means. Over time, it has gotten less & less secure.

My larger Sting came with a fairly nice tan leather sheath with a metal belt/boot clip. It is soft leather and holds that knife very securely. I did have a minor problem with it, however. The belt clip is very strong but, although sandwiched between leather, was not firmly affixed to the sheath. I had to add a rivet to keep it from coming out when attaching the rig to a belt. Also, I prefer a heavier leather for my sheaths so, eventually, I made my own leather sheath.

I remember AG started to offer Kydex sheaths for the Stings before they went out of production. I think they were just for the all-metal models but I could be mistaken.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

Chiro,
You're right. Mike does make neck sheaths for Spydie folders. In fact, he made the BF Native sheath in CF pattern Concealex. I have that and a Harpy sheath plus more on the way. It did take a little getting used to it, but blade deployment from these is very, very quick.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

Brian,

My Sting has the Cocobolo handles like yours, and came with a leather sheath. I didn't know other sheaths were offered. The leather sheath is sort of like a Puukko sheath with a metal belt clip, the only retention is the deep insertion of the knife in the sheath. Not adaptable to inverted carry, but disappeared in IWB carry.

Great to see an old favorite come up.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

LD,
Both Stings were gifts my wife ordered from the AG Russell catalog. It sounds like the sheath that came with my large one is the model you have. I got the large one first and was surprised, and a bit disappointed, to see the Cordura sheath instead of leather with the smaller one.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

So, how do the Spyderco sheaths work? The ones I've made are designed so you grab the hole and jerk down with a slight torque to your wrist. The result is a fast depolyment because the wrist snap both pulls the knife from the sheath and sets the handle into a swinging motion, which also opens the knife at the same time. Is this how Mike's work, too?

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Thanks for the pics, Brian. Very nice sheaths
smile.gif
. The Rekat Fang is my favorite neck knife, and the Utility is awefully close behind. I had never seen, or heard of the Sting - very appropiate name.

Mike Sastre has been making a LOT of sheaths for lots of companies, and regular folks for a LONG time. I own 6 of his folder sheaths. There are some similarities among sheaths, especially with the fast deployment method with the Spyderco hole, and using the momentum of the pull/tug to have the knife open up. I know it has been around for YEARS. Good designs get copied of course. Now a days it seems it would be little difficult to be ORIGINAL with a particular design. It would be interesting to find out who initiated the Spyderco hole deployment method in conjuction with a Kydex, or other thermoplastic sheath
smile.gif

As time goes on I have learned that there are a lot of skilled craftsman who work with Kydex/Concealex. You get talking with the sheath makers, and they recommend each other, and take no offense whether you buy their stuff, or someone else's. I was very impressed by this. Sharing knowledge is sharing wealth. Essentially it is brothers helping brothers. A good product will sell itself
smile.gif
!

Ray 'md2020'

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 08 September 1999).]

That's just how deployment works, Chiro.

The Sting is an oldie but a goodie, Ray. Like Lucky Dog's, mine are marked 1977 but these were still listed in AG's catalog until a few years ago. I've seen NIB ones selling for $175 recently. You're right on the money about sharing knowledge. It's what makes BF so great too.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

Back