Custom Crosman 2240

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I got this airgun a while back (after much deliberation). Ordered from a custom shop and had cocobolo grips made for it. I asked for them to be rough-finish...so I could customize them further myself.

I put a few cans of ammo through it and figured out what I wanted with the grips. Had some "down time" with the kids on the front porch and decided to do some hand-sanding...

I just love cocobolo...feel, smell, finish, etc. Good thing I'm not allergic to it!

Specs:

Crosman 2240
.22 caliber
CO2 - valve ported to get 530 fps & better accuracy
New breech w/ scope mount
Trigger shoe & adjusment
Muzzle Brake
2-7 x 32mm scope
Cocobolo grips contoured, sanded to 400 grit & buffed w/ Briwax
8" barrel
Oversize brass bolt

Thought you guys might like to see this one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Every once in a while I do something for me...and only me. :D :p

530 fps ? Its not that far a jump to gunpowder velocities .

I have an old crossman 357 22 caliber . The best I could get out of it was 278 fps . It cracked like a 22 rifle . How loud is yours ?

Sweet, especially the grips.

Had that one.... and the BB-matic, and the Crosman revolver...

Happy shooting, Dan.

Mike

Nice. I'm digging those grips.

I have three Crosmans myself that I did some 'smithing on: a 2240, a 2260, and a 17-something. They received the standard treatment: steel breeches, valve tuning, etc. The two cartridge guns are in .22 and the pump is a basic .177. Two of them are still not quite where I want them to be in the accuracy department but I'm told by the experts that the Crosman barrels are actually very good -- the muzzles are just cut poorly. I'll fix them when I get around to it. I did not own a chrony when I put them together but now that I do, I ought to chrono them sometime.

You actually took what's probably the best approach toward customizing a Crosman -- you paid someone else to do it. When you factor in the costs of new parts, supplies, etc., the cost is about what a custom piece runs and is a lot less labor intensive. :)

And Dan? Watch it with the airguns. Like khukuris, they have a distressing tendency to multiply. You start with a CO2 pistol for off season practice and the next thing you know, you're hotwiring Russian electric guns for fully automatic fire and hunting with spring cockers that pack more wallop than a .22 LR. Just saying...

Nice air pistol and very, very, beautiful grips; outstanding job on them Dan!!!!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

I wonder how it would be for feral cats? ;)

I hope the honorable Senators Feinstein and Boxer don't decide you shouldn't play with toys that could put an eye out.

Nice looking little rig. I've got a love/hate relationship with Cocobolo.

Very very nice Dan. I love airguns too! Cheap to shoot (if not to buy) and fun as heck.

Love that cocobolo. :thumbup:

Steve

Kevin the grey said:
I,m wondering if there are wood grips for my Crossman revolver ? They are a hoot to shoot .

You might try RB Grips at http://www.rbgrips.net/index.html

Dan, thanks so much for this thread. It prompted me to get off my butt and go outside and shoot a bit. What a blast! Here's my Baikal IZH-46M. Not powerful, but way more accurate than I am. Made for 10 meter competition, it has a red-dot sight with no magnification.

Steve

attachment.php

Attachments

• IZH-46M.jpg
    IZH-46M.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 153
I've got a crossman 1300 classic. What a great single shot pump it is:) Shoots .177 pellets at over 400 fps. The long barrel makes it easy for just about anyone to hit at what they are pointing. 10 or 15 pumps and it cracks like a .22lr. I bought it to play around with in the winter at work when nothing is happening. I just open the bay door and set up a few cans on an upright pallet for targets. I couldn't believe that from about 15 yards back a pointed lead pellet could blast through a pallet slat:eek:
We get stupid birds in the warehouse all the time. they fly in but can't seem to find the 15'x30' door they came through:rolleyes: I used to just dry fire the pistol to see if it would scare them out. Nope. After one got spooked and dropped his payload on my motorcycle...well, no more warning shots. I hate to kill them, but all the idiots do is fly back and forth, get tired, land behind an I beam and die.

Jake

Steely gunz I have seen drywallers seal in whole colonies of pigeons behind the walls they are putting up in luxury1/4 million dollar condos . Tell me how that will smell in a month or two .

A quick end is better than what I have seen happen to them before .

I have some pointed pellets as well . I have to file the plastic spring loaded gate a bit or they will hang up in there on the way in . My buddy says there is no difference in penetration though his tests were crude at best .

Do you see any difference between them and regular pellets ?

Pointed pellets are a bit of a marketing gimmick, IMO. Remember that we're talking about projectiles that are made of nearly pure lead; if they hit anything harder than a piece of paper, they deform considerably. That sharp tip becomes flat quite easily, sometimes before it's even left the tin.

Most swear by the round points. I use these myself for general shooting and shots against larger animals in heavier calibers. (Added penetration.) For small critters I use the Beeman "Crow Magnums," which seem to be absolutely deadly if penetration isn't an issue.

With a name like crow magnums they must be good . At least we can give the advertising department points for imagination .

Don't take just my word for it -- let's see the photographic evidence. The following pellets were fired at a distance of 10 yards at a water-filled 2L soda bottle.

attachment.php

1. Fired from Crosman 1377 @ 10 pumps. .218" diameter. 9.3 grains.
2. Fired from RWS Diana P5 Magnum @ 1 pump. .201" diameter. 9.2 grains.
3. Unfired. .177" diameter. 9.3 grains.

I'd try it with the .22's but that would require gassing them up and making a racket. In my experience, they expand similarly.

The impressive thing about this is not the fact that they expanded this much, but that they expanded at all; both of these pistols (the P5 and the 1377) are fairly low-powered and are not really intended for hunting. That being said, with the proper pellets they'll knock starlings out of trees without so much as a fluttering wing if the shots are placed well.

These pellets aren't cheap (no Beeman products are) but I like them.

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 142
Dadgum Dan, I broke out in a rash just looking at that coco bolo, but it was worth it, some beautiful workmanship. Pretty sporty pistol too, you could definitely go bag a sackful of squirrels with that. Tree rats is fine eating. ;)

Sarge

Dave Rishar said:
Pointed pellets are a bit of a marketing gimmick, IMO. Remember that we're talking about projectiles that are made of nearly pure lead; if they hit anything harder than a piece of paper, they deform considerably. That sharp tip becomes flat quite easily, sometimes before it's even left the tin.

Most swear by the round points. I use these myself for general shooting and shots against larger animals in heavier calibers. (Added penetration.) For small critters I use the Beeman "Crow Magnums," which seem to be absolutely deadly if penetration isn't an issue.

Well, I'll have to disagree. In my experience, the pointed tips give considerably better penetration. I shot round tips for years, then switched to the Beeman Silver Jets in .177, 5 mm. and .22. The difference in penetration on birds and % one shot kills on flying rats was remarkable. I regularly shoot into a 2" pine board for practice, and the silver jets clearly penetrate further. I can stick with the same pellet weight and get the same or better performance than with a larger caliber using another pellet type.

The round pellets hit very hard, but usually a bit of the skirt is left outside the board. The silver jets are buried.

I was fortunate enough to live very close to the Beeman outlet in Santa Rosa for several years, and spent a lot of time in their store, and tried a bunch of their products, and use only their pointed pellets now for pest control. For paper targets I would probably stick with the round nose.

Dan, the grips on that are beautiful. The only CO2's I have are .177. That thing must hit like a truck in the airgun world. I have an old .22 pump pistol, but it doesn't generate nearly enough velocity to really be useful, although switching to the Beeman pointed tips helped improve performance.

I do wish on at least their custom pistols Crosman would do something about the seam that runs down the grip frame. Should be a simple task for them to grind it smooth and refinish. I am considering doing that to mine, but having them powdercoated or other refinish would add way more to them that what I paid. Some folks would call it perfuming a pig I guess, but so what? :D

Someday Crosman will make one of their neat pistols with a real machined smooth steel grip frame.

Norm

Svashtar said:
The round pellets hit very hard, but usually a bit of the skirt is left outside the board. The silver jets are buried.

There's nothing wrong with having two sides to an issue, even if the other view is contrary to mine. (And thus, wrong. ;) ) You have your sharp points and I have my round points and all is right in the world, unless you're a starling.

(And I'll tell you a little secret: as much as I dislike sharp points, the only ones that I will use -- and I do use them on occasion -- are Silver Jets. Because, you know, they're almost as good as round points and Crow Magnums. :cool: )

I won't tease you too much because you seem to be a fan of the Beeman pellets, which tells me that you know what you're doing. I'm continually surprised at how well their products function. Can't afford the airguns, but the pellets are something else.

Svashtar said:
Someday Crosman will make one of their neat pistols with a real machined smooth steel grip frame.

If they did, they'd have to charge a whole lot more than what they do now. I'm actually impressed with Crosman's marketing strategy: they know that they can't compete with low end and high end imports, so they produce a basically good design with some cheap parts in order to corner the tuner market and sell it for a low end price.

I don't like the seam line either. I'm betting that a guy with a belt sander, a blasting cabinet, and some Gun-Kote could do a real good job with the factory frame, but that's one more project that I won't complete and I no longer have access to the cabinet. I'll let it slide in the meantime...the things can shoot, with a little work.

Back