Custom grind XM's?

Fairly new to Hinderer's, but today I came across several pictures of wharncliffe, Hellfire, and bowie grinds on XM-18's. Anyone know where these are initially sold besides the secondary market? The different grinds are very interesting to me, and the pics are beautiful! Thanks!

Man, those things are amazing. Just read Rob's sticky at the top and saw where pricing starts at shows for these... I need to get to a show sometime soon!

It always makes me wonder how someone lucky enough to win the opportunity to buy a custom at a show let's it go. I get the obvious reasons of "too nice to use" and "not right for me".
I'm just saying from a personal perspective, that if any of Rick's customs were mine, they wouldn't get too far away from me.

To the original question. It's a Show or Gathering purchase for the most part. But you find them on the Web, as you mentioned too. The recent lottos here had some nice rare knives, even though not customs, they were very nice.

It boils down to how much "work" you want to do to get the items you want the most. Attending the shows / gatherings and trying your luck in a lottery is a way. But so is buying them when you see them pop up. Factor all "costs" into things. Traveling has costs too.

It always makes me wonder how someone lucky enough to win the opportunity to buy a custom at a show let's it go. I get the obvious reasons of "too nice to use" and "not right for me".
I'm just saying from a personal perspective, that if any of Rick's customs were mine, they wouldn't get too far away from me.

Frankly, some people simply like to pocket a profit as soon as they can and the knife doesn't mean anything more to them. That is not my personal approach when it comes to Hinderer knives, but if I won a rare Emerson or Burch or Rexford, I'd give serious thought to selling it if it allowed me to purchase something I was far more interested in (e.g., a particular gun or a custom Hinderer).

Especially if your not really into these knives, its for sure very difficult for most people, the choice between spending $550-$650 or walking away with a $1000-$2000 profit...

For me it would be a very easy choice...saving a lot of money and walking away with an awesome knife.

Last edited:
I wish the people entering for profit would go elsewhere so that people that REALLY want one have better odds. I was lucky but alot of others aren't. And its really a douche move to lessen their chances so you can make a quick buck. But thats only my opinion.

I wish the people entering for profit would go elsewhere so that people that REALLY want one have better odds. I was lucky but alot of others aren't. And its really a douche move to lessen their chances so you can make a quick buck. But thats only my opinion.

:thumbup: +1

Before this gets ugly and becomes one of those price and availability threads...let's just let it go.

My opinion was of myself. I understand why others do what they do. And even if I disagree or strongly disagree with the way some conduct themselves, it's not my place to police them.

For that matter I can only control my own words, and to that end...I'm hopefully done on this topic here as by now...it's likely evident that I feel those who go out of their way, travel to the knives, play by the rules of the lotto, hopefully have a healthy moral compass, and want the knife for them and not for profit---well those are :thumbup:.

The one i won in the lottery was exactly what i wanted, the perfekt EDC and i will never sell it:)
It was just a plain normal 3" with no extras, so im not afraid to use it like it shoud be.

Didn't mean for this to turn ugly at all, gents! Anyone ever heard of having a proxy try for ya at a show? (not necessarily a family member, but someone who can go in your stead and try to win, and would probably be at the show anyway). I wish I could make it to a show sometime.

Proxy requests and things like it may be a private thing people workout with one another. I have no information to add on the topic.

Back