custom/handmade Japanese inspired tanto pics

the title explains it all, i'd love to see some of the makers around here's work and any members who have some. please make sure to include the name of the piece and who made it.
thanks! Bryce

I post this one quite frequently.

Pohan Leu harkanto (he named it after me since I came up with the design)
harkanto.jpg

harkanto1.jpg

I have these two beauties by Matt Gregory. Not sure if they qualify as tantos, kwaikens or something else all together, but they are Japanese-inspired and both are exceptionally well done.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Roger

This is my version of a Japanese camp knife..sort of tanto-ish:

IMG_1758.jpg

And a Japanese inspired utility.. called 'kwaiken' by me... 'paring knife' by others.. :) Made from a sort of teko-gane, a mish-mash of home made steels (bloomery, shear steel, orishigane) combined with W2. Osage orange fence post for handle (stained and distressed) with shear steel guard:

IMG_1727.jpg

Other than Roger's knife (thanks Roger) here's the Japanese inspired pieces that would fit in the Tanto or short tanto category.

The most recent first

Kwaiken6.jpg

Older pieces

3Tanto_2.jpg

PetrTanto_2.jpg

Tantofinal_7.jpg

very tiny Michael Burch, sorta kinda tantoesque;
collectionjune11006.jpg

Magnus Axelson Stormy Weather, tanto inspired (although I might be the only one that sees it!)
collectionjune11023.jpg

Tai Goo BMG, reversed tanto? Probably not even close, but a great knife that always deserves air time
collectionjune11026.jpg

Lorlock, I know for a fact this is inspired by the tanto design, and maybe some asian influence of some form or another
collectionjune11027.jpg

I've got a couple from 'Jason Cutter' aka Dr. Kwong Yeang.......too bad he isn't making knives any longer, that I know of.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Joe Walters/Chris Olofson

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Terry Guinn

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one not mine though and i really like his work but you don't see him much around here anymore. I love the way he grinds both sides the same.
Sam Eddleman he sure makes some nice stuff imho.

greentanto1.jpg

greentanto2.jpg

A Jody muller necker with Chad Nichol's SS Damascus. I wear this little beauty all the time!

IMG_2862_2.jpegIMG_2864_2.jpegIMG_2860_2.jpeg

Last edited:
i try to get around! thanks for the mention!
heres the latest tanto out of my shop.
bali4-4.jpg

bali2-5.jpg

bali3-4.jpg

Back