1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Japanese tanto

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by joe calve, Aug 8, 2018.

1. joe calve

joe calve

Aug 8, 2018
    Looking for a fight knife on the style of a tanto blade around 8-9in blade meant for combat use

2nd small knife 2-3in blade for utility and survival

Thanks joe

2. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Full Japanese style? Including wrap and guard?
    Or just the style blade?

3. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    There are usually something along those lines for sale in the 'Fixed Blades: For Sale' area....

4. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Need some more details...

Price range you are looking to pay for each knife?

Are you looking for a traditional Japanese style tanto or a modern knife with a tanto blade?

5. joe calve

joe calve

Aug 8, 2018
    I’m open to handle suggestions and moder or traditional knife

Loook around 2-3k for the knife

Main thing is a fighting knife able to hold up to combat and if it possible to build and knife with the same handle and shape with no blade for training

Thanks joe

6. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2012
    Check out Ben Tendick. He's doing some nice stuff in 3V.

7. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    I’ll second Ben’s work.

Sorry I couldn’t help you, Joe.

8. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    I'll 3rd Ben's work.....for that kind of dough you should be able to get damn near anything you want. ;)

Ben would be able to do a stainless-laminated Tanto with a 10"-12" blade and a great sheath....thanks to Matt he's getting pretty handy at handle-wraps and Turk's Head knots. I'm sure a Trainer wouldn't be a problem either... :)

Win Heger and Matthew Gregory like this.
  9. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Ha, Whoops! I meant Ben Tendick, but that holds true, as well. Ben Seward just cracked a few cool Japanese style pieces out. Can’t lose, either way. :)

Dawkind likes this.
  10. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    @joe calve Sorry I could not take your order, my books are currently close while I knock out some other projects.

If you get Ben Tendick to make you something you will be thrilled with it.

Dawkind likes this.
  11. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Does Dan Keffler do tanto that small? If so he's another option.
    And Jay Paranee had a sweet tanto made by someone a few months back, but I can't find the thread . . .?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Matthew Gregory likes this.
  12. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Mirabile.

Matthew Gregory and Dawkind like this.
  13. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    That’s what I meant...Seward, Tendick, Vigil, Mirabile, Gregory, Helms, April, and so many others I’ve missed...so many killer ‘Smiths, so little monies. :( :D

And Jay will tell Joe.... ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    john april and Matthew Gregory like this.
  14. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Listen, pal. A "tanto" blade is actually a certain Japanese style and size of blade based on a long history of...

...ohhhh hey there, it was Joe, wasn't it? Nice weather we're havin', really keeps the tick population down! Did I ever tell you how dashing you look in those purple socks and orange wingtips? Very stylish, I must say. Really highlights your sprinter's calves. Say, have you ever considered the many uses of a bigass titanium sword? You haven't? Well let me just say, they have 1001 uses, every one of them 100% legal!

[​IMG]

fq55, kuraki, Josh Rider and 2 others like this.