Custom Knife Sharpening Time? Almost One Year Waiting...

I've owned several of Ernie's knives, but no customs...and I'll do my own sharpening. Just think how good a job you could do on sharpening...if you had spent the last year in practicing...
Call Customer Service and ask them to return it...NOW.

A custom model with a chisel zero grind isn't easy to sharpen IF you want to maintain the original look or grind lines. However, You could put a microbevel pretty easily and there are some advantages to them too. A year wait does seem long to me, you might want to call them to see what's going on. I usually get faster and better responses over the phone vs email.

Anyone have experience with how long Mr Emerson takes to do sharpening on custom knives? The email I received when it was "checked in" said 8 to 12 weeks, and it's been almost one year. I've heard Mr. Emerson does all of the sharpening himself and I understand he's very busy running his business and making new custom knives throughout the year.

Anyone know how long the average time is? I've sent a couple of emails to their main customer service line every few months but haven't gotten back any responses.
It can and does often take in excess of a year. One person I know has had his Six in for service for well over 500 days and counting.

What's the point of owning a custom if it goes away that long? They're hard enough to acquire in the first place, sucks to be deprived of enjoying it like that.

Would really make we wary of using one if I was unwilling to sharpen it myself.

Ernie does them all himself and he's a busy guy. That said, one year is too long. Call them up and have it sent back. There are some accomplished blade sharpening experts who can sharpen it.

Why would you send ernie a knife to sharpen on the belt grinder that takes less than 10 mins when you could send it to anyone else and get a mirror polished edge or even just a refined working edge in much less time?

Not to drift too far off topic but out of curiosity what is the original price (roughly) for customs?

Not to drift too far off topic but out of curiosity what is the original price (roughly) for customs?
I've been told table price for standard customs is $750. I think a few of the larger customs can run a little higher. Secondary market prices can get quite high depending on the knife.

As to the original topic - no way I'm sending in a custom for sharpening with a wait time like that.

Reactions: Mo2
Anyone have experience with how long Mr Emerson takes to do sharpening on custom knives? The email I received when it was "checked in" said 8 to 12 weeks, and it's been almost one year. I've heard Mr. Emerson does all of the sharpening himself and I understand he's very busy running his business and making new custom knives throughout the year.

Anyone know how long the average time is? I've sent a couple of emails to their main customer service line every few months but haven't gotten back any responses.

The only one who can answer your question is the company in possession of your knife.

Why ask us? Did you call them? I have NEVER received a response via email in over a decade of emailing them. But they never fail to pick up the phone, and have always been helpful.

I was able to take a break from work to call in. I was told that Mr. Emerson had recently finished up some sharpening work on customs that was 2 years old in the system, so he is getting through them, it just will take a while longer. No time frame provided, but I can assume another year or so based on him just finishing 2-year old sharpening jobs. This is a very special knife, that I only want Mr. Emerson himself to sharpen.
Perhaps he does repair/sharpening in batches and will catch up to the backlog now.

Yes, table price is 750 for customs. I've got the original invoice. Full dress are more.

That's a crazy wait for a resharpen, but understandable considering the backlog.

I like sharpening my knives, customs too. It means more to me using them knowing the edge is mine. It's easy enough to do once you get the hang of it.

you tell people it will take a year . that's called customer service. throwing it on a shelf for a year cause you cant get to it says to the customer " I don't give a rats ass about you "

I know real men and special operators don't wine about it they suck it up and shut up and take it.

Never ceases to amaze me the way people get mentally brainwashed by these businesses who continually walk all over the very people who made them a success

Yea if he hasn't heard back by now i doubt he's gonna get it any time soon if at all. Lessons to be learned here.

Back