Custom knives for targeted groups

I've heard of knives being made from motorcycle chains and I was wondering if any of the "heat and beat" knife makers thought of making knives that target special groups. For example, bicyclists are a pretty 'metal smart' group and routinely spend big $$$ on high-tech alloy frames and wheels. They have extra cash to buy fancy toys (like titanium and carbon frame bikes) and argue about the benefits of various metals in their bikes. (In a lot of ways they are like knife knuts.) So here is my idea; make a bunch of knives from old bike chains and bike frames. Market these through bicycle shops. You could do the same for the golf crowd. Golf clubs these days are really high tech (carbon, titanium, etc) and there has to be a bunch of old clubs around that can be re-tooled. Make the knife handles out of the same woods they use in their drivers (like persimmon wood). The trick is to get the golf and bicycle shops to carry your knives. What do you think?

Hey, maybe you could beat railroad spikes into knives for sale at the Golden Spike gift shop. How about beating plowshares into swords for sale at the feed store, or split rims into folding lock-backs sold in truck stops. Sorry, I couldn't stop my fingers from doing that, I hate it when they do that!

this reminds me of something sorta kewl I read about in Golf Digest a few years back. When they de-comissioned the Queen Elizabeth II, some enterprising custom golf club maker acquired the props from her. A bronze alloy mix from which he made several hundred sets of irons. Aptly named them QE2's and marketed them in the right places, and now I believe lives on a tropical island which he owns somewhere in the south Pacific.....jeff

Back