Custom mod or stock: Camillus Tip Top Barlow with ebony covers and red enamel letters

I bid on this mostly out of curiosity and was quite surprised when I actually won it. I don't recall ever seing a Camillus Tip Top Barlow with ebony covers and red enamel letters on the bolster stamp. Its a solid knife, the blades have snap and the main blade has a 4-line tang stamp and a nail nick which doesn't seem unusual for a later Tip Top based on photos I've seen of similar knives. I suppose it could be a "parts knife" but it seems odd that someone would create a knife that's so different from its predecessors unless they just wanted something a little different as a one-off custom.

Regardless, it's a nice knife and I like it - at the very least I now have something to post on Wooden Wednesday. I just can't find out anything about it and was hoping someone here might shed some light on whether it's a production knife or a mod.

Thanks

b585a64cf8588ec61051d37340ad0bd6_zpspie3iu1z.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This has been here in Traditional pretty close to 24 hours. Let's try the Camillus Collectors subforum and see if they do better by you.

Tip Top.poultry? Big plant in Marietta, GA. They have many plants.

By doing a search, it looks like Tip Top was a brand of Camillus like Camco.

The presence of "TIP TOP" on Camillus barlow knives does predate the founding of the Tip Top Poultry company, (1947).

I found a Camillus Tip Top barlow at a flea market a couple of Saturdays ago.
Clip main, pen secondary with bone scales. Also found a #68 Stockman - the one on which the 3rd blade is a leather punch. The snap on the 68 is a little weak, but a good cleaning and oiling helped.

Carrying the Tip Top today- great little knife. Takes a great edge.

Back