1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Custom Shop Handle ID Help

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by saville01, Jul 10, 2019.

1. saville01

saville01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I am thinking of selling a few of my Custom Shop SFNO's and have forgotten the handle material can anyone help me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

duramax likes this.
  2. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    The first looks like Black G10/Desert Ironwood and the second appears to be G10/Spalted Maple

*Edit: Both are beauties, no matter what

:thumbsup:

duramax, musicisevil and gorshi like this.
  3. PABladeGuy

PABladeGuy Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Second one is G10 & spalted maple for sure, I've got two.
    Not sure what the wood is for the first though

duramax likes this.
  4. saville01

saville01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Thank you

5. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    They are both the same~ gorgeous! If that's spalted maple it's the best I've ever seen. Normally it's lots of light and dark lines where this looks more burl-like than anything. Sure it's not maple burl?

This is more of a typical spalted look I would expect. This even shows some quilt patterns.

[​IMG]

Here's some black ash burl too -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    OnceBitten likes this.
  6. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I think that Leonardo63 could be correct. Maple Burl makes more sense, not Spalted.

The more that I look at it, the more that it reminds me of a Bark River Gameskeeper that I had which was 1 of a 300 piece run for AG Russell with Maple Burl handle slabs