1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Tin Knives

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Sep 5, 2018.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    A Tin Knife is a knife that fits in an Altoids Tin. If anyone has a custom design they would like made I’m open to doing it. The only restrictions are no taller than 1” and it will be made from 1/8” O1 steel, and must fit in an Altoids Tin.
    I would also be willing to make customer designed PSK Knives.

2. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Extremely bored at work. One finger grip where the handle wraps around the pointer finger. The trailing point blade provides a comfortable contour to rest the thumb, if you need to apply a bit of pressure. 3.25"x1" total. The marks in the first drawing are at 1/2".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I originally had drawn a hard 90* at the blade edge, but this would a) be uncomfortable and b) create a stress riser. Now, I don't think you can put enough stress on ~1.75", 1/8" piece of O1 to cause a crack at that point, but it might cause issues in heat treat.

Fun activity, John! Thanks for entertaining me for a few minutes. :D

3. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Looks like a mini Persian style.

4. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Absolutely. I find that the Persian style trailing point works well on small Fixed blades because of the added edge length in relation to the overall length of the blade. Tip-to-heel measured with a straight ruler is approx. 1.75", but measured with a fabric tape, it's closer to 2.25". That extra half-inch over, say, a wharncliffe or Spear point can mean a lot when you're talking about such a diminutive amount of real estate.

When I was originally drawing up the Pocket Chef, I drew it with a slight trailing point that actually gave an extra 1/2-1/3" extra edge length, but I couldn't fit it properly for the dimensions of your steel. Now that I have my Pocket Chef in-hand, though, I realize that the straight-back 4" blades offers way more edge length than I could ever use.

5. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I like tin knives but already own quite a few. Is it cost prohibitive to get O1 taller than 1"? One "knife" that is always with me is my Microtech Assailant. To some it may appear gimmicky but mine sees a fair amount of use, mostly opening beverages and the occasional package.

6. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I can go taller than 1”, but it does cost more. I make several models out of 1 1/4” steel.

Rob Babcock likes this.