Customized My CRKT Bear Claw

Please take a look at the to photos I took today of my modified CRKT.

Let me know what you think. The wood grips are mahogany and I polished both the blade and wood with 400 grit sand paper. I used the original grips as templates and then cut the shape out with a band saw. I did most of the reprofiling with a rotary sander and then finished it off by hand.

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1461550&a=10988035&p=38198719&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>

Thumbnail
</A>

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1461550&a=10988035&p=38198725&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>

Thumbnail
</A>

With out the use of my father shop and his help I would have probally messed this up. It took about 6hrs total with the drying time of the finish.

[This message has been edited by sigsauer (edited 01-22-2001).]

That looks really good SIG, Was it difficult to do? I have wanted to do something like that for a long time.

------------------
You can tell a knife nut by their hairless arms....

Sneak, thanks for the positive comments. It wasn't to difficult, it would probally be allot more work without the right tools.

I find it pretty easy to do the work if I have something to work from, like the original grips in this case. I probally wouldn't be any good at my own designs as I am not the creative type.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by sigsauer (edited 01-16-2001).]

Very nicely done.
Do you feel the urge to do any others? Maybe even try your hand at sheath making?

Paul

Hey Sig, where did you get the handle material from? Did your supplier have any other types of wood? Seeing your Bear claw has sparked an iterest in doing one myself.

------------------

Nice job Sig!

Here Walt (aka Gearfreak) showed his job in cherry wood.
Don't you think leather sheath is "must be" to match wooden handle?

Thanks for the replies.

Paul,
I am actually considering doing some more. It may be awhile though as the use of my fathers shop is a little out of my way since I work full time. My father does allot of wood working and he would probally help me if I asked him. I'm going to wait until I can get more supplies and then I will probally make a large batch of handles for this one model and see what the response is. I would really like to use some micarta and eventually some styles of antlers. I have not made any sheaths and I doubt I will start, just to many other projects at this time.

Sneak,
At this time I have no one to supply this material, I got this piece from a old coffee table we had taken apart. I will be talking to a friend of my dads soon to see about getting materials, if you would like a piece of mahogany let me know here or on private email and I will see if I can scrape together a large enough one for you.

Sergiusz,
Very impressive work, my original intention for this knife are very similar to what you have used for materials. I wanted to see how good a job I could do before I attepted it. Now that I know how great it looks thanks to your piece, I will now be forced to try some new materials. Your absolutely right though, leather would be a nice addition to this piece, but I will probally change to another style of handle and have a kydex sheath made as I don't have any experience there.

Sig, that would be really nice of you to do .
I would really appreciate it. I dont think my wife would like it if she came home and found me taking my furniture apart for new handles.I will send you my email.

------------------

In the words of the almighty Cartman..... SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
Sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

Sneak,
No problem I will see what I can come up with.

Turber,
Thanks for the comment. I was hoping the new Tighe collaboration with CRKT that you were kind enough to provide pics of would have CF scales. Guess I will just have to buy that one and see if I'm any good at working with CF.

Back