Customizing alox scales?

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how to customize a set of Victorinox alox scales? I'd like to get something like, this soldier . I was thinking the best way would probably be a small diamond burr on my dremel, and just taking my time. Would this method be advisable? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wow that's pretty cool. I have a soldier model too. You would probabaly have to knock the pins out and then jig the scales with a drimmel very much like bone. Notice that the shield in the picture is protruding. This means that this dude must have taken off a lot of alox. My concern would be if the scales wind up too thin.

That seems like a Dremel job to me, nice work!. I´ve worked aluminum with the regular carving tools in the Dremel, they may clog a bit and have to be cleaned frequently with a brass wire brush, I´ve never tried the diamond tools but I guess they should work.

howiesatwork

Platinum Member
Iwantyourskull said:
Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how to customize a set of Victorinox alox scales? I'd like to get something like, this soldier . I was thinking the best way would probably be a small diamond burr on my dremel, and just taking my time. Would this method be advisable? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to ask oupa.
http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB51
Dirk (oupa) is the one who did those.

Howie