Cutting Frame Lock Slots

Hey guys, I need a little help. Right now I use a 1/16" end mill to cut my slots. On my larger knives, it takes a little over an hour. I asked several people at the Blade show and they suggested a slotting saw.

Well, I purchased a 3" diameter (Duh!) 56 tooth blade and that sucks. :(

So, what diameter, what type of steel, and how many teeth, should I purchase? I sure would appreciate a MSC part number.

Thanks,

A.T.

"Don't you buy no ugly Knife"
My next show is the Knife Makers' Guild
Show July 11th-13th. I'm at table A-23.
Please come by and say hello.
http://www.customknives.com/

A.T.
I use a 3" 128 tooth, 63997688, .031 thick, and a 4" 128 tooth, 63997787, .031 thick. Primarily the 3" saw. MikeO and I have used that same one for probably a hundred long cuts.
Some prefer carbide and smaller diameters.
Slow speed, 70 rpm, and plenty of fluid. I use a Rustlick 500W mix in a spray bottle. MikeO prefers Reli-on Cutting Oil and an acid brush.
IMHO, the more rigid the set up is, the less chance of flexing and breaking the saw.

yes, you have to go slow, and .030 is about the right thickness, although I have used .028" ones with great success........Although my mill doesnt go as slow as kits does I go slow and use plenty of militech.

Kit and Tom, I appreciate the info. I was surprised that you use the 3" diameter. When cutting a 2 1/2" slot, the radius on each end is still there. That's why I figured I needed a 1 1/2" diameter or so saw.

How come, there is always another learning curve?:)

Thanks again,

A.T.

My next show is the Knife Makers'
Guild Show, July 11th-13th.
I'm at table A-23. Please come by
and say hello.
"Don't you buy no ugly knife"

A.T.
I cut thru one side and shift around to the other side and cut it. There is a small bit left and I clean it up with a Foredom and 1" cutoff wheel.
Works for me :)

Originally posted by Kit Carson
I clean it up with a Foredom and 1" cutoff wheel. Works for me :)

Duh! :D

That will work. Thanks Kit.

A.T.

and say hello.

AT
I use the 3" also I haven't counted the teeth but
120 something sounds right.

I have dro to know where to go each time
and a jig set up for a good solid back up

as kit, I use a 1" cutoff wheel to clean up but on a dermel.
I also poke a hole at the ends of the slits ,, makes for a
nice radius on the ends
I use different fluids depending on what I'm cutting.
again it was nice seeing you and the others at Blade.:D

Information such as in this thread is exactly why I love the forums. I don't make any folders as yet but plan to in the future and this thread will be printed out and put up for future reference. Thanks for asking A.T. and thanks for the information guys.

yea, i drill a hole too!!! :eek:

but dont do it from the other side........just go past on the same side until it is cut in the front (I cut the inside of the frame)
if you will take apart a sebenza and look at it you will see what I mean........I have tried it the way Kit does it and its just too slow.

Originally posted by tom mayo
just go past on the same side until it is cut in the front (I cut the inside of the frame)

:confused: OK, help me out here. Your saying, you *only* cut your slot on the inside of your frame? Your also say, that you cut the slot past the hole? If so, that sure would help. Matching that saw cut exactly from the other side, had me concerned.

A.T.
and say hello.

Show off! :p :D One of these days maybe a Bridgeport will be in my future.....who knows, I have a new garage coming July 31st with a brand new 220 line running to it so maybe it isn't so far off after all. :)

Peter,
You just have to realize how many thousand I did with a Foredom tool, 1" cutoff wheels and a bandsaw :) I like to think that I worked my way up to the DRO and power feed.:)

WOW.. power feed, what's that Kit :D
I need more dings and bells to play with :D
I have the DRO and it's great,, I love that thing...
but I'll brake down someday and get the X and Y feeds.
I have the down feed in it..:) when I weir the handles off
the mill or it wiers the hands off me then it's time...:D

Dan,
The last mill I had was made circa 51, just like me. It was just as grumpy and hard to work with :) I couldn't even read the numbers on the dials. I was due this new mill. ;)

I'm still using a dremel with a 1" cut off wheel, so I can vouch for the fact that if you have any other possible way of doing it, YOU SHOULD! :D
I've only done one frame lock so far, used .125 440C. My little Ryobi moto tool got too hot to hold onto about 4 times before I was done, luckily its got a pretty good fan on the motor and I was able to just sit it on the vice at low speed and it would cool itself down in a minute or two.

I have three fixtures and it takes me about 10 minutes max to cut a framelock .155" thick including the web cut. After a while it is duck soup, but you need to be careful on every single one.

BTW-Just bought a brand new full sized Jet mill..........after having one that was about as old as me for 16 years!!!! :p

Not aa fancy as Kits.............but then I dont get all those big royalty checks like he does!!! :p :eek: :p

Back