Cutting G10

I have been epoxying the G10 to the wood scale and then cutting out the scale with a scroll saw. The problem is that the scroll saw blade is dull after cutting about 2" because the G10 is so abrasive. How do the rest of you do it? Is therer a carbide coated blade for scroll saws, or do you just buy the blades by the gross and throw them away after cutting a few inches? Any help would be appreciated.

I use a carbide cutting wheel for the dremmel it tears through it and last a long time the wheel runs around 16 dollars and the shaft is 9.99.

Hope this helps

I'm going to have a similar problem. Local plastics supplier is sending me 16 pounds of the stuff in a big sheet (and for the same price as I usually pay for a square foot online :) ) I'm planning on just using my angle grinder to cut it down to scale sizes.

I use my belt grinder and/or hacksaw/bandsaw. If it can cut metal it's somewhat going to be good for G10. Just wear a respirator/glasses when you work with the stuff, you don't want it in your lungs/eyes.

I use my metal cutting Port A Band on a slow speed, just as if I was cutting metal.

I have this same problem and I haven't figured out the best answer to it. I make knife scales in production quantities and G10 is always a problem. Part of my process is I use vacuum to hold a sheet down and I cut out the profiles of the scales on a CNC first. I always leave .015" skin at the bottom of the cut so I don't loose vacuum. So I like to cut them the rest of the way out on a scroll saw. But I face the exact same problem you're facing when processing G10. Blades last a long time in this application in wood or micarta, but G10 dulls them pretty quick. I can maybe get 20 or 40 inches out of a blade in G10. Fortunately, blades are pretty cheap.

To maximize blade life, slow it down if you can. Keep it wet. And most importantly, feed it hard. The harder you feed it, the less it "rubs". Rubbing dulls cutting tools, particularly in abrasive material. A coarse tooth count works best. I also like to use as much of the blade in the cut as possible.

I've been meaning to look into diamond coated scrollsaw blades for G10.

do you just buy the blades by the gross and throw them away after cutting a few inches?

I use fresh $100 bills, they last for a few inches then I toss 'em! :D

I either buy precut scales (1.5" x 5") and grind them to size or use a tile saw with a diamond blade to cut G10 wet. It is hard on blades for sure, even diamond wears fast.

tile/wet saw nice super thin diamond blade works evry time!! too expensive? rent one for a couple hours and gettem cut!

I see smaller tile saws for around $45 on sale, I have one that cost about $60 at HD and it was worth every dime. I have slabbed a ton of rock on mine as well.

I use an abrasive coated hacksaw blade.... leaves a wide cut but it gets me close enough to where I can just grind the rest. Not sure where I got it and the label is all rubbed off, but it hasn't worn out a bit!

I won't use G 10 because of the health risks. If I did, I would use a wet tile saw, wet grinders, and wet sanding. You can't clean up all the dust, and I have enough scary crap floating around already. I use a dust collection system and several air filters, but adding G 10 or carbon fiber to the mix isn't going to happen for me.

I use a the same blade on my metal cutting bandsaw that I use for steel and wood. cuts no problem.
They are $15 a pop, and last me months.

I have a small craftsman vertical bandsaw that uses 70 1/2" blades. I use the 15 tpi blades I probably get through 15 or 20 sets of scales in G-10 contours and all.
Compared to canvas micarta G-10 grinds like butter.

Thanks for the replys - sounds like no one knows of a source for carbide or diamond coated scroll saw blades.
____Mebladesharp - hadn't thought of using a Dremel - will try that next.
____Nathan - I spent several hours on the computer trying to find diamond or carbide coated scroll saw blades - couldn't find any. Let me know if you find them.
____Minibear464 - what is a lansky blade? where do you get it?

Back