1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Cutting G10

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by tim37a, Sep 28, 2012.

1. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    I have been epoxying the G10 to the wood scale and then cutting out the scale with a scroll saw. The problem is that the scroll saw blade is dull after cutting about 2" because the G10 is so abrasive. How do the rest of you do it? Is therer a carbide coated blade for scroll saws, or do you just buy the blades by the gross and throw them away after cutting a few inches? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Alexander Dietz

Alexander Dietz Banned BANNED

Jul 31, 2011
    I use a carbide cutting wheel for the dremmel it tears through it and last a long time the wheel runs around 16 dollars and the shaft is 9.99.

Hope this helps

3. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm going to have a similar problem. Local plastics supplier is sending me 16 pounds of the stuff in a big sheet (and for the same price as I usually pay for a square foot online :) ) I'm planning on just using my angle grinder to cut it down to scale sizes.

4. mgysgthath

mgysgthath

Dec 15, 2009
    I use my belt grinder and/or hacksaw/bandsaw. If it can cut metal it's somewhat going to be good for G10. Just wear a respirator/glasses when you work with the stuff, you don't want it in your lungs/eyes.

5. Mudbug007

Mudbug007

Nov 29, 2010
    I use my metal cutting Port A Band on a slow speed, just as if I was cutting metal.

6. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    I normally just use a hacksaw.

7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I have this same problem and I haven't figured out the best answer to it. I make knife scales in production quantities and G10 is always a problem. Part of my process is I use vacuum to hold a sheet down and I cut out the profiles of the scales on a CNC first. I always leave .015" skin at the bottom of the cut so I don't loose vacuum. So I like to cut them the rest of the way out on a scroll saw. But I face the exact same problem you're facing when processing G10. Blades last a long time in this application in wood or micarta, but G10 dulls them pretty quick. I can maybe get 20 or 40 inches out of a blade in G10. Fortunately, blades are pretty cheap.

To maximize blade life, slow it down if you can. Keep it wet. And most importantly, feed it hard. The harder you feed it, the less it "rubs". Rubbing dulls cutting tools, particularly in abrasive material. A coarse tooth count works best. I also like to use as much of the blade in the cut as possible.

I've been meaning to look into diamond coated scrollsaw blades for G10.

8. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I use fresh $100 bills, they last for a few inches then I toss 'em! :D

I either buy precut scales (1.5" x 5") and grind them to size or use a tile saw with a diamond blade to cut G10 wet. It is hard on blades for sure, even diamond wears fast.

9. GTH11

GTH11

Feb 21, 2011
    tile/wet saw nice super thin diamond blade works evry time!! too expensive? rent one for a couple hours and gettem cut!

10. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I see smaller tile saws for around $45 on sale, I have one that cost about $60 at HD and it was worth every dime. I have slabbed a ton of rock on mine as well.

11. Minibear464

Minibear464

Jul 14, 2011
    I use a lansky blade. Great blade, usable for at least around 4 scales, and cutting out two knives.

12. wolffbite

wolffbite

May 7, 2010
    I use an abrasive coated hacksaw blade.... leaves a wide cut but it gets me close enough to where I can just grind the rest. Not sure where I got it and the label is all rubbed off, but it hasn't worn out a bit!

13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I won't use G 10 because of the health risks. If I did, I would use a wet tile saw, wet grinders, and wet sanding. You can't clean up all the dust, and I have enough scary crap floating around already. I use a dust collection system and several air filters, but adding G 10 or carbon fiber to the mix isn't going to happen for me.

14. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    I use a the same blade on my metal cutting bandsaw that I use for steel and wood. cuts no problem.
    They are $15 a pop, and last me months.

15. JBS TOOLMAKER

JBS TOOLMAKER

May 4, 2009
    I have a small craftsman vertical bandsaw that uses 70 1/2" blades. I use the 15 tpi blades I probably get through 15 or 20 sets of scales in G-10 contours and all.
    Compared to canvas micarta G-10 grinds like butter.

16. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the replys - sounds like no one knows of a source for carbide or diamond coated scroll saw blades.
    ____Mebladesharp - hadn't thought of using a Dremel - will try that next.
    ____Nathan - I spent several hours on the computer trying to find diamond or carbide coated scroll saw blades - couldn't find any. Let me know if you find them.
    ____Minibear464 - what is a lansky blade? where do you get it?

17. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Woodcraft sells them:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2083063/33970/ps-wood-diamond-wire-scroll-saw-blade-.aspx

These work well,too. I bought one at a pawn shop for $30:
    http://www.fragtasticreef.com/Gryphon-C-40-Band-Saw-Gryphon-Saw-C-40.htm

When I did my bath, I bought one like this at the same pawn shop for $20:
    http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...le+Power+Tools&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

Best thing about those two is the wet part.

Of course, there is always:
    http://www.acetoolonline.com/Husqvarna-966433201-K760-12-Gas-Cut-Off-Saw-p/hus-966433201.htm :)

18. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    Thanks, Stacy. I'm going to try the blade from Woodcraft.