Cutting Strength of Traditional Slipjoints

I've noticed that for some cutting chores, especially those involving tough materials, like that hard, clear plastic packaging stuff, and certain types of dense cardboard, nothing seems to really match a traditional slipjoint pocketknife, especially if it has a sheepsfoot blade.

On cutting some of these tenacious materials, it seems a good slipjoint will not stress at the pivot point/backspring area. On the other hand, I've had some quality lockbacks, particularly those with Zytel handles, feel as if they are stressing almost to a possible damage point on these things. One of the few non-slipjoint knives (that I own) that can handle these tough jobs with equal ease is my BM Mini-Stryker/plainedge.
Is it because most lockbacks are looser at the backspring area than most good slipjoints?
Has anyone else noticed this?
Jim

Not sure but could it be the slip joint knives are carbon steel blades or thinner blades?

Also, most slipjoint knives have metal liners where as the zytel knives do not. I am guessing because I don't know what you have.

I think it has to do with blade thickness. I have a small Old Timer with a very thin blade and it cuts through everything I put it to with ease.

The slipjoints I have used for these purposes were...a Case medium bone-handled stockman, a Buck Cadet, and a Buck 703 stockman. The blades on all three are stainless...I believe 420HC, to be exact.
My Mini-Stryker's blade is ground completely different, yet can also cut these stubborn things.
Also, the edges of the sheepsfoot blades on those slipjoints remained razor-sharp and seemed completely unaffected, as did the Stryker's ATS-34 blade.
Jim

I've been making folders for about 5 years now and have never had one break or fail. I use either 440C or ATS-34 with a triple temper and a sub-zero quench. My blades walk, talk, and cut. But, the cutting strength of any knife is the results of proper heat treating. As I do all of my own heat treating I know what I've got in a blade wheather it's a fixed or a folding blade. I probably make as many slip lock folders as I make fixed blades. The liners will make you feel that the folder has more stability to it because it dose, compared to a Z type handle without one.

------------------
Curtis Wilson -
Wilson's Custom Knives, Engraving, and Scrimshaw

Back