Cutting wire

I did a search for the Becker Necker a while ago, and one of the questions asked, was "How does the wire cutter work"? The answer was, insert the wire in the notch and move the knife sideways. I haven't bought the knife yet, so I can't experiment with it. Can someone be a little more explicit about how this is done? Pictures would be great. In a SHTF situation cutting chain-link fence would be very helpful, it seems to be everywhere these days. Blocking direct routes of travel and egress from areas that would be nice to be out of. Thank you.:)

I believe that this works by flexing the wire untill it breaks (difficult with chain link. (easier to climb over or disconnect from posts and drive over).
Enjoy!

The wire breaker notch works but by the time you cut a hole in chain link fence the next ice age will kill you. Kidding aside I have a Becker neck knife and I've never used the breaker notch and probably never will. I think you would be better off with a pair of Felco wire cutters, or maybe wire cutting vice grips. Short of a small pair of bolt cutters nothing will be fast.

now i'm curious. do you move the knife sideways as in right to left?? or twist as if drilling a hole with the point??

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
You twist it sideways for maximum strain on the wire, you basically have to bend it back and forth until it breaks. If you twisted you would have to in effect pull the wire apart and exceed it tensile strength which is also possible but much harder.

-Cliff

i must be dumb as a door-nail today. i still can't quite picture this working.

grobe said:
i must be dumb as a door-nail today. i still can't quite picture this working.
Me too! I still don't get it. I understand, flexing until you fatigue the metal. I know how to break a spoon, but how does the notch come into play? Pictures would be great. We're back to square one, insert wire into notch and move sideways.:)

mewolf1

Gold Member
Dreamer said:
Me too! I still don't get it. I understand, flexing until you fatigue the metal. I know how to break a spoon, but how does the notch come into play? Pictures would be great. We're back to square one, insert wire into notch and move sideways.:)
Use the notch instead of your fingers to fatigue the metal. It really isn't cutting the wire, just saveing your fingers.

A little o/t, but Dreamer raises a good point about wire cutting tools in the BOB. Leatherman cutters are fine for small jobs, but a small pair of bolt cutters or heavy duty wire cutters might be worth a look for an addition.
Ever evolving BOB, thanks mainly to ideas posted on this forum.

I'm still going to buy the knife, but I've concluded from reading the replies here, that the wire cutting feature is pretty much worthless. I'll look into some other means of cutting chain-link. Any suggestions?

Dreamer said:
I'm still going to buy the knife, but I've concluded from reading the replies here, that the wire cutting feature is pretty much worthless. I'll look into some other means of cutting chain-link. Any suggestions?

These are very small and light-weight. They cut up to chain link fence like butter:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=9988732F-E271-F1BB-0664A630306B7B24

KnifeKitWorkBag.jpg

Shown on the right, by the Lineman's Pliers...

ROCK6