D-2 and other new things

Cliff, you bring up some very interesting points, but truthfully I am a little confused. Being a heat treater, and a very picky one at that, how do you maximize the properties on one element in the steel? I always go for the best balance of hardness, toughness and corrosion resistance, but at the same time grain growth is priamarily by biggest concern, with big grain growth toughness and corrosion resistance go down, edge chipping goes up. I have always worked to maximize all the elements to make the best blade with the steel I am using.....

I am very interested in how one would go about keeping the chrome in the D-2 matrix and not have it form any Chromium Carbides while using the Vanadium as the carbide former. If you know something I dont please let me know as I am always playing with heat treating to maximixe performance...At the hardening temperature of D-2, both chromium and Vanadium will form carbides, but neither will do so at lower temps enough to be sufficent to make a decent blade of D-2.

On the modified D-2, I have seen the specs and due to a Non Disclosure statement I have signed with REKAT I cant discuss the makeup. I can say that is is unique, and has a very interesting elemental makeup. D-2 is still one of my favorite blade steels and after using it over 10 years I would be interested in improving the heat treat even more.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Originally posted by Rob Simonich:
On the modified D-2, I have seen the specs and due to a Non Disclosure statement I have signed with REKAT I cant discuss the makeup. I can say that is is unique, and has a very interesting elemental makeup.

But it is still D2, right?

------------------
iktomi

No Iktomi, it is NOT D-2, but MODIFIED D-2, it has the same basic makeup, but there are extra goodies added that D-2 dosent have. That is as far as I had better go as I will be seeing Bob tomorrow!
smile.gif
Keep in mind that sometimes when you see the word modified, it means "made cheaper". That is not the case with this, it is more rather than less as evident by Jeff Randall's preliminary tests. Nuf said for now, off to Atlanta!

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

I *need* a D2 Sifu!

Bad!

Sifu_smiley.gif
(Thanks, SB, for this GREAT smiley!)

Jim

Originally posted by Rob Simonich:
No Iktomi, it is NOT D-2, but MODIFIED D-2, it has the same basic makeup, but there are extra goodies added that D-2 dosent have. .... Keep in mind that sometimes when you see the word modified, it means "made cheaper". That is not the case with this, it is more rather than less ....

Oh, OK. Well, it's good to hear you approve of it, and that it is not just "cheaper". Not that I don't trust REKAT, but it always helps to have another opinion. That and Jeff Randall's as well. It sounds like it is going to be NICE.

I like where it sounds like REKAT is going. Now, if they'd just do a run of UNK's in D2. Yeah, I know... but a guy can wish, can't he?

------------------
iktomi

Dangitt Jim! Now so do I! ATS-34 was just fine until a second ago. :0

D-2 Sifu!

Rob:

how do you maximize the properties on one element in the steel

By adjusting the tempering, less vague, with ATS-34 as an example, the high/low question :

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum54/HTML/000351.html

I am very interested in how one would go about keeping the chrome in the D-2 matrix and not have it form any Chromium Carbides while using the Vanadium as the carbide former.

Discuss the matter with Crucible. For example CPM-420V is supposed to be tougher, more wear resistant and more "stainless" than CPM-440V for exactly this reason.

As for "modified" steels, that sets off a warning bell to me. While I appreciate the fact that you don't want everyone taking advantage of your research, unfortunately there are a lot of people using "secret" materials and methods just because it allows them to say they have better performance than the normal materials/methods.

-Cliff

In the case of 420V vs. 440V, it looks like they sought to increase toughness in 420V by actually decreasing the amount of Cr, increasing the amount of V, and adding a little more Mo....As opposed to say heat treating the same composition differently.

I'm chiming in on the D2 Sifu. Wasn't that a robot in some movie or something; little guy, kinda looked like a shop vac?

I can't imagine the cutting power of a D2 Sifu. I've got a Dozier Pro Guide that cuts like a champ, so I know it's a good steel. Doesn't seem brittle either. Of course, yours might be different if it's got more stain-resistent qualities. Still, that would be sweet!

Bob--Forgive me if I'm asking questions that you've already answered--I tried not to.
smile.gif

Is REKAT is going to come out with a D-2 blade on all of their models? Will this be in conjunction with the ATS-34 models, or will the D-2 completely replace ATS-34 models? What effect will the use of D-2 have on the costs of REKAT products?
eek.gif

I can't wait for the D-2 Sifu. I've been planning on buying the original, but if it's coming out in D-2, prolonging the wait a little will be worth it.
cool.gif

Keep up the good work.
smile.gif

Gator

[This message has been edited by Gator (edited 06-19-2000).]

The D-2 and 154CM will be out around November. We are currently running the last of the ATS-34 Steel we have and then will make the switch. No more ATS-34 Blades from REKAT. We are planning on a 1/3rd D-2 2/3rd 154CM production of all current models. We will do 40% of each model coated in BlackT. Hope that answers the question.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

I know a commonly complaint about REKAT (and really the only one I have) is that you guys grind fairly thick edges on all your knives. Will modified D2 change that, or will you still finish it with the same rather abrupt edge bevel?

The edge on my Pioneer II is nice and thin. It is one of the better cutting knives I own, now that I have sharpened it at around 38 degrees included angle. But it is the edge thickness that counts, and my Pioneer is great. My Bladeforums Sifu is really sharp too.

Back