D-2 Cub Headed for Germany

NWA

Here is one headed to my buddie in the land of fantastic Beer.

D-2Cub002.jpg

Nick:)

A beauty. I like the pin placement and jimping. Hell I guess I just really like the whole knife.

Good stuff.

Is the rear of the handle on this one rounded a little more than normal? Did he request that?

Looks comfy as usual :thumbup:

This does have a slightly more rounded arse end. It also is full size and fits my hand well.

D-2Cub003.jpg

That's a great looking knife Nick. I like the way you've transitioned the first finger groove into the ricasso. Blade shape seems extremely functional as well.

I know you've been using D-2 for a while, I really like your A-2 & O-1 though and haven't tried D-2. From what I've read, D-2 can form larger carbides and can be prone to edge chipping. So I've been hesitant to try D-2 (I do have a Dozier personal model made with D-2 and it works very well, no issues). Could you
share some of your perspective on choosing a knife steel and why you went with D-2 for this knife?

Thanks!

Hi Jack, I have yet to run into the ever popular edge chipping. D-2 is a fantastic blade steel. Last years deer season went somrthing like this. I ended up taking three deer from field to freezer with my muskrat model knife in D-2....I never sharpened it once, it had no edge chipping it finally just got too dull.
After the third was processed, I did sharpen, and ended up getting a fourth, that blade is in my pack and ready to go. I haden't looked at it until two weeks ago, and I expected there to be some staining..... It still looks like new.

While D-2 does have large carbides when Ht'd to 60RC and not 62 like some take it too. It performs, as far as I am concerned perfect.

I also use D-2 knives in the kitchen, and for cleaning fish. One even found its way in the dishwasher. It ended up with some slight ( very slight) stains. But I figure thats pretty damn good considering the environment of a dishwasher.

So weather its from me or another maker don't be shy use those blades in D-2, you will be suprised.

thanks bud :thumbup:
i can´t wait to hold it in my hands. and i´ll drink a beer for you :D
nick, what you´re saying about the d2 steel is completetly right. at this time i use a bear cub knife http://www.bearcubknives.com/products/products.htm
as my edc. and i have thrown my sharpener away :p
but this one will kick the cub out of pocket :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cheers
Arne

i´m pretty sure he will :D he´s a nice guy :thumbup:

mine came in this weekend :p

a great knife nick :thumbup: thanks a lot!!!

Arne

Hi Jack, I have yet to run into the ever popular edge chipping. D-2 is a fantastic blade steel. Last years deer season went somrthing like this. I ended up taking three deer from field to freezer with my muskrat model knife in D-2....I never sharpened it once, it had no edge chipping it finally just got too dull.
After the third was processed, I did sharpen, and ended up getting a fourth, that blade is in my pack and ready to go. I haden't looked at it until two weeks ago, and I expected there to be some staining..... It still looks like new.

While D-2 does have large carbides when Ht'd to 60RC and not 62 like some take it too. It performs, as far as I am concerned perfect.

I also use D-2 knives in the kitchen, and for cleaning fish. One even found its way in the dishwasher. It ended up with some slight ( very slight) stains. But I figure thats pretty damn good considering the environment of a dishwasher.

So weather its from me or another maker don't be shy use those blades in D-2, you will be suprised.

Agreed!:thumbup:

My opinion is that ALL fixed blade knives should be made from high carbon steel. O1 and A1 even S7, M4 and the like are wonderful steels but I think that time and time again D2 out performs them all (ok, M4 maybe not) and like you mentioned....it resists staining far better than the others.

Good to see and hear of another maker not shying away from using it.:cool:

Great little knife too.

3 deer? Skinned? 1 knife no sharpening in between? Serioiusly?:eek:

WOW!:D

Back