"D" in Folder Pivot Pins

Is the "D" really necessary in the folder pivot pin and the blade? I saw that in the Terzuola book and have seen it in the Koval folder kit but wonder if it is really needed. What function does it really serve?

------------------
Peter Atwood

email: fountainman@hotmail.com

It's not necessary in the frame and imposible in the blade. Other than making it easier to tighten the screw on the pivot, I don't know why he uses it.

------------------
Take care!! Michael

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Its only done in the frame. It eliminates the need for a screw in each end of the pivot pin. Instead you have the barrel with a fixed head on one side and the screw in the other.This set up should be alittle stronger because one side is held by the full thickness of the pin instead of just a thin screw. It also prevents any turning of the pivot pin which would cause the screw to work itself loose etc.

------------------
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I've got the sharpest knife in the room.

I suppose you're talking about the flat that is milled on the shank of the pivot pin.

If so, it's used to keep the pivot pin from turning in the frame. Several manufacturers have used this, although it takes some special tooling to make a matching hole in the frame.

Like Darrel said, there are many alternatives you can use to keep a pivot from rotating, including screws, pins, and press fitting the pivot into the frame/liner.

------------------

Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

[This message has been edited by Tom Anderson (edited 02-20-2001).]

So would using an O ring when tightening up the pivot screw be enough? What about a tiny drop of Locktite? What other ways are you referring to, Darrel?

------------------
Peter Atwood

email: fountainman@hotmail.com

Back