D2, A2, O1, or 1095. Whats best for a chopper???

Thank you guys for your input it is very helpful. I have to say I really thought More people would choose D2, to the best of my knowledge this far it is the strongest out of them four and can be hardened to a lil over 60 rc. And it is the most expensive of the four. Am I wrong? Is D2 not the strongest of them?

Keep in mind that when it comes to blade steel, strength and toughness are typically at odds with one another - meaning that you usually have to give up one to get the other. In a large chopping blade that will subjected to a lot of pounding (and higher than usual lateral stress loads), the toughness part of the equation is very important. D2 is a personal fave in smaller blades, but for a chopper, the other steels would be a better choice- assuming a good heat treat, of course.

For HardTripper, Yes You would I have my blades hardened to 54-56 i was just saying D2 has the potential.

Any of the steel above is just part of the equation. HT, grinds and weights sorta complete it.

I will take 1095 out of the 4 you mentioned, as a blade i prefer for a solid chopper.

I'd agree with all of the above.

I don't have first hand experience with all of them, but as far as I know, the most important consideration in a chopper is toughness. A2 should be good, also 5160 assuming good heat treat, and same goes for 1095. Don't know much about O1. As for D2, some people say it is too brittle for a chopper and is better for smaller blades designed for normal cutting tasks. 5160 is probably the best steel for a chopper that isn't too expensive, check out the Ontario SP series for good, relatively inexpensive choppers in 5160, especially the SP50 and 52.

Of the four mentioned I'd go with A2 or O1, A2 being my first choice. S7 is another good one.
Scott

With the proper edge geometry and heat treat, you can't get any better than S7 for a hard-use chopper, IMO.

Back