D2 planer blade for a knife... A few questions and advice

Hello. I made several blades from a planer blade made of D2 from Bohler of Sustria. These blades are 60 RC. I used a 1x30 belt sander, grinding the steel slowly, and dipping them in cold water a lot to keep them cool.
I chose this method because I don't have a heat treat oven.
It wore out about twenty belts, but I did finish tqo knives. Second one used several belts.
My questions are what drill bits can drill through hardened steel effectvely?
My blades are hidden tang as a result of this. (I don't mind though).
Would JB Weld be better than the 5 minute epoxy I used? I heard JB Weld sticks to metal well. My first blade has a walrus ivory handle, the neck knife a Dymondwood handle. I ask about this because epoxy didn't hold the ivory to the blafe well. Super glue did the trick. Note: I cut two scales of ivory (and Dymondwood) and hollowed out one side for the blaed, and epoxyed them together. Yes, the seam is off set but hard to detect. A short time later the scales delaminated. Super glue held them tight sfterwards.
Thre is a chance I will be getting a variable speed bench grinder and a Tormek T7 wet grinder sharpener next month . ( local grant)
I ptefer to work this steel at 60 RC so I won't need to invest in heat yreat oven and such (can't afford it).
Any advice from anyone that uses this method?

Last edited:
Epoxy is very strong ive used it on many things. As for drill bits gimme a min I'll ask a friend where he gets his. I don't do stuff like that so plain dewalt stuff is fine he does machine work so I'll return with an answer
He buys from bad dog tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. So many belts, that's dedication!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy unhardened D2. Work it and then get it hardened by a third party?

I also understand how you might want to do it all yourself and went the other route. :)

Blade Dude... Thanks. One-Eighth and one-quarter inches would be the sizes.

Jens... I traded out the belts once they made more heat than I liked. Besides, new belts cut faster. I am not against using softer D2, I just don't have a proper oven. I suppose letting a professional do the heat treaying but I don't know of any that does this.
What sort of cost per blade might they charge?

Update... I just recieved word that my grant was approved for some knife making tools.

Tormek T7 wet grinderv sharpener bundle
Delta variable speed 8 inch bench grinder
Oasis dust filter system
Grizzly 1x30 w/5 inch disc sander (mine is old and wearing out)

Using a Norton white grinding wheel I should be able to grind hardened D2, then finish up the blade on the wet wheel. Simple plan to make a few blades as this hobby progresses.
I figure to add a 2x48/72 belt grinder someday.
I figure a fella's gotta start some place.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Best way to drill hardened D2 is with a laser or water jet or EDM, none of which you have. A Hi-Roc solid carbide bit will work in a drill press (available through MSC or McMaster).

Bill... Thank you for the info. I do appreciate it. I'll check into those carbide bits. Thanks.

At this point I will make a few blades with hidden tangs, and extend the handle a bit beyound the tang end and drill the Dymondwood handle for a lanyard hole.
Besides ordering a few Dymondwood slabs I ordered three planer blades to use.
It all begins here. Knife making, here I come.

Back