1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D2 scratches?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Meshach, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meshach

Meshach Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    my only D2 knife is a Kizlyar Supreme Sensei and the other day i noticed some scratches near the tip. At first i was worried it was a fracture because it ran from near the tip to the edge and i can feel it with my finger nail. I sharpened it and the scratches on the edge came out. Is this normal? I have heard allot about d2 being brittle, in which case it would just snap right? I noticed the scratches near the tip after stabbing it into a tree stump to make some feather sticks. I tried the same action again and noticed more scratches. Is that enough to make scratches on D2?
    Of course I have had other knives in other steels that have scratched but i dont think ive ever been able to feel them catch my finger nail.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The scratches arent on the other side
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pretty sure the stump is just fir.[​IMG]

2. jmh33

jmh33

Mar 16, 2003
    Tools.. Not jewels!!;) If ya use it, you will get a few more..:D John

3. Meshach

Mar 20, 2016
    I know and im more than happy to get scratches and dings. Just worried its more than a scratch because i have heard allot of hype about d2 not being very strong

4. jmh33

jmh33

Mar 16, 2003

I have more than a few knives in D2.. Never had an issue so far.. Now I don't mean to say that some cant pop up but that can happen to any steel.. I don't believe/read/pay attention to any internet hype on most things.. Use it and enjoy.. If an issue pops up later I am sure it can be corrected.. John

Meshach likes this.
  5. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    D2 is fairly decent in the wear and tear resistance dept, but it will scratch if it makes contact with an abrasive surface. I have seen a Benchmade 710 scratched so bad it looked like someone wiped it down with sandpaper.

Meshach likes this.
  6. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    From your pics, it looks like regular ol' scratches to me. That tree stump is full of dirt / abrasives.

7. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    D2 has been used in tools and knives for generations. Something tells me if it were really that brittle and likely to break, it would have gone the way of the dodo decades ago.

Is it possible there is some sand, or pebbles, or other gritty stuff on the surface of that wood? It might be a silicate scratching the blade rather than the wood itself.

buckfynn, TheEdge01 and Meshach like this.
  8. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    yeah, it scratches because silica particles (silicon) tends to be everywhere, even in trees. The only way to minimize scratches is if your blade hardness is up around 65+...

there are a few threads here about it (if i find it I'll link it here)...
    also somewhat common is quartz, which unfortunately has mohs hardness of 7... to avoid scratching those you might need @Ban to make you something out of zdp-189 or something crazy

9. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Platinum Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Most of the things you hear about knife steels on Internet knife forums, outside of the occasional outright falsehood, can probably be summed up like this: "true only when considered as a relative thing compared to some superior option, and generally mattering very little in actual use".

Meshach likes this.
  10. Meshach

Mar 20, 2016
    Cool thanks for all the replies guys. Just wanting to know more about this steel because so far i really like it. Just dont have too much experience with it.

And @dirc i dont care about the scratches, just worried me how deep they are and that they went all of the way out to the edge. I believe in using tools and love the way they wear.

11. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Something else to consider, your blade may have came in contact with small steel fragments that chipped of the chainsaw chain when cutting the tree down.

Meshach likes this.
  12. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I have a chopper in d2 that I use for limbing trees. Holds an edge very well and I've only experienced chipping when hitting rocks, and they were minor. I think it's at 61-62 RC.[​IMG]

jbmonkey, Weiss and Meshach like this.
  13. PoorUserName

PoorUserName

Aug 28, 2017
    Can i ask what blade that is?

thanks.

14. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Charlie Mike here on the forums made it.

PoorUserName likes this.
  15. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If you do a search there was a recent thread on Kizlyar Supreme being very bad knives. It's probably not d2 and probably not a good heat treatment.

Meshach likes this.
  16. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Sick knife. I want one.

17. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018

it might be because some Chinese mfgs use this 'type' of d2 - http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/EST/ytl122.shtml

which isn't really d2, since it has around 0.2% vanadium instead of 1%, and the other variances are rather loose at best...
    I hope the better Chinese makers don't touch this stuff

18. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Whereas Kizlyar [not Kizlyar Supreme] make rather good knives in my experience.

Mo2 likes this.
  19. Meshach

Mar 20, 2016
    I wish we could get a definitive answer on kizlyar supreme. I do think if they were legit they would be more public.
    I do like their designs but their lack of transparency is disturbing.

If anyone has the the ability and the inclination i would be willing to send in my knife for testing.

Pilsner likes this.
  20. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Worry less, use it more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.