D2 Sebenza, help please...

I only know of ATS-34, BG-42, S30V, S35VN and various makers Damascus. Chris DID use D2 on the One Piece Knives when they had trouble sourcing A2. Chris DID like to tinker though and evolve, so would not be surprised in the least if a Genuine D2 Sebenza exists......Many clones use D2 though.

To be clear, I realize that having a CRK folder in D2, especially nowadays, would be beyond a rare thing. But I have read about very early use of D2 with CRK folders. And I had that particular image saved on my phone b/c I love the early stuff. I also have images of the kraken and Borat shaking hands with Bush on my phone. But I don’t doubt the OP’s recollection of his knife.

Let’s see what they say from CRK.

I guess some people project their own sorry condition and believe that others need to lie or invent stories for who knows what purpose. That’s not my case.

I mentioned in the general forum having the Sebenza D2 among a list of other “modern” knives. I’ve been around this forum since at least 1998. I have no clear recollection of why, when, where I bought the knife. Like so many others here on a daily basis, I must’ve read something that prompted me to buy a Sebenza. I looked it up, liked it and bought it. I probably bought it from Nordic Knives when they were in California, of course, because I’ve bought many knives from them. They are great people. I have no idea how much I paid for it, and I say ten years ago but it could be earlier.

I can’t post pictures because I’ve been away from home since February because of the virus. Also, I’m no longer a paying member and couldn’t post pictures if I had them. Maybe this darn virus thing has me posting here too much. Maybe I should find something better to do with my time.

Anyhow, thank you for the well intended responses to my original post.

Let’s see what they say from CRK.

I guess some people project their own sorry condition and believe that others need to lie or invent stories for who knows what purpose. That’s not my case.

I mentioned in the general forum having the Sebenza D2 among a list of other “modern” knives. I’ve been around this forum since at least 1998. I have no clear recollection of why, when, where I bought the knife. Like so many others here on a daily basis, I must’ve read something that prompted me to buy a Sebenza. I looked it up, liked it and bought it. I probably bought it from Nordic Knives when they were in California, of course, because I’ve bought many knives from them. They are great people. I have no idea how much I paid for it, and I say ten years ago but it could be earlier.

I can’t post pictures because I’ve been away from home since February because of the virus. Also, I’m no longer a paying member and couldn’t post pictures if I had them. Maybe this darn virus thing has me posting here too much. Maybe I should find something better to do with my time.

Anyhow, thank you for the well intended responses to my original post.

It may take CRK some time, and they may also need a photo. This is likely going to outdate all employees but Ann. You can post a photo using an image service or can Email it to a member(once it is possible to do so). Please keep us updated and follow through on this thread.
Glad you still have it & hope all turns out as you remember it
Does yours look similar to the one in the photo with the log/symbol in the middle of the scale vs at the pivot?

Last edited:
It may take CRK some time, and they may also need a photo. This is likely going to outdate all employees but Ann. You can post a photo using an image service or can Email it to a member(once it is possible to do so). Please keep us updated and follow through on this thread.
Glad you still have it
Does yours look similar to the one in the photo with the symbol in the middle of the scale vs at the pivot?

Thank you for your polite and respectful response. Indeed, now I’m determined to see this to the end. Not that it means a whole lot to me one way or the other. Again, thank you and have a great day.

Sorry, I hadn’t seen your question. No, my knife is not marked on the scales. Again, I’m not home so I don’t have the knife available to photograph.

Yeah I’m definitely interested to hear more about the knife. No big deal if we don’t though.

And if it’s a legit D2 Reeve...you sir, might be eating steak and lobster dinners every night for the next few months.

Did they send it back with a birthday card? And do you know if they are any letters on the inside of the frame lock?
Do you still have the box and paperwork?

Did they send it back with a birthday card? And do you know if they are any letters on the inside of the frame lock?
Do you still have the box and paperwork?

I'll answer for him-he is at a different location than the knife, so he has only contacted them

8884631C-A090-42FC-93AB-4839B1D2265A.jpeg

Back in the very early days of Chris making knives he used all sorts of steels. 440A, 440B, 440C, ATS 34, 154CM, D2, A2. So it’s entirely possible that very early pre Sebenza’s were using something other than ATS34 which was the norm for early Sebenza. If so it’s a rare bird indeed!

It’ll be interesting to hear CRKs reply and when you get chance I along with many would love to see some pictures:)

One other point. If it’s legit your gonna get a lot of interest from people wanting to buy it. It would be worth a considerable amount of money! Do some research and talk to a few people before doing anything rash. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I will stay tuned to take a look at the picture of this knife when it gets posted!

I just talked to a very nice lady at the CRK shop. She told me the blade on my knife is probably made of BG-42 steel, and that it is highly unlikely that it is made of D2. I accept her word respectfully, I don’t mind being wrong..., it wouldn’t be the first time. Yet l apologize for so much. As soon I get back home, I’ll post pictures of the knife. Sorry and thank you.

I just talked to a very nice lady at the CRK shop. She told me the blade on my knife is probably made of BG-42 steel, and that it is highly unlikely that it is made of D2. I accept her word respectfully, I don’t mind being wrong..., it wouldn’t be the first time. Yet l apologize for so much. As soon I get back home, I’ll post pictures of the knife. Sorry and thank you.

So there is still a chance! :p

I think we're all pulling for it to be D2. Would be true historical rarity.

As helpful as I am sure she was trying to be, there was no way they were going to be able to determine anything definite from what you provided. The photo would be needed and maybe even sending it in.
Not saying they were wrong, just that there was to little data to make a solid determination. If legit D2 it is outside the knowledge of customer service, just as it was for most of us.
The odds are still highly against it being legit D2, but it would be a shame if it was and remained unrecognized.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind replies. In my memory, probably even more skewed by now, I was told back then that the blade was D2. I think to remember seen it written somewhere. I mean, since I’ve had that knife I’ve thought of it as a D2. Now, I will not question the response I received today. They should know. But I will follow it up as you guys suggest. If only I could get back home soon. This was an insignificant issue for me but now it’s got me hooked.

Be well and stay safe. And thank you, again

Today, from the owner of Nordic Knives. I’ve visited the store when it was in Solvang, CA., and very likely I bought the knife from him.

“Yes, I have been with the business since 1980, and have owned it outright for 25 years, so we may well have met each other in 1993. Reeve did indeed make Sebenza's with D2 steel, although not many.”

I’ll take pictures and post them as soon as I can. I appreciate the rational, sensible, smart and respectful responses to my OP. Thank you.

Today, from the owner of Nordic Knives. I’ve visited the store when it was in Solvang, CA., and very likely I bought the knife from him.

“Yes, I have been with the business since 1980, and have owned it outright for 25 years, so we may well have met each other in 1993. Reeve did indeed make Sebenza's with D2 steel, although not many.”

I’ll take pictures and post them as soon as I can. I appreciate the rational, sensible, smart and respectful responses to my OP. Thank you.
You said you bought this Sebenza "some ten years ago". Seems like that time line would have to be extended out quite a bit for you to have bought this knife new from this knife shop when CR was possibly making D2 Sebenza like knives. Does that make sense?

Back