D2 Torture testing...cool pics!

Eric Isaacson

Pirate
Here are the pics from the some of the testing we did on the Bog Dog and the Safari Skinner. Both of these knives had a Rockwell hardness of between 61-62. Remember that D2 is not supposed to have much lateral strength at that high of a Rc. Also it would normally chip out with extreme impacts to the edge as it is more of a cutter not a high impact steel.

As the pictures show, the Bog Dog has a significant flex and the Safari Skinner pics were taken after a 275 lb Deputy Sheriff spent 1 1/2 hrs pounding on it with a hammer. The edge has rolled but is not chipped out like you'd expect (and even more important it isn't in pieces) and you can even see the area on the side of the blade where it was impacted with the hammer. When finished the hardened face of the hammer actually had gouges in it from the knife. These pics show that we have achieved a large amount of malleability of the edge(which is uncommon for D2)

Also some makers don't think that D2 performance can be increased by a deep cryo treatment, I think that these tests prove differently. We have done testing on most of the other D2 blades out there from many many makers and none of them come even close to this level of toughness or durability.

We do these tests so you don't have to :D:D
In the past, we have probably been overly cautious when discussing the abilities of our D2 blades, but now you can really see what they can do. We get this type of performance because of our proprietary Heat treat and deep cryo cycles.
However, please don't try to break them just so you can say you did.

Toughest D2 blades on the planet
bog_dog_flex.jpg

Skinner_beating.jpg

skinner_beating2.jpg

Skinner_Beating3.jpg

Skinner_Beating_4.jpg

Skinnerbeating5.jpg

Wow! Very impressive!

Eric, have you done similar testing on the Rat Trap blades? Curious what they will stand up to! In an emergency, only, of course! :eek: :D

Eric Isaacson said:
We have done testing on most of the other D2 blades out there from many many makers and none of them come even close to this level of toughness or durability.

I would assume that you tested some of Bob Dozier's blades? How did they measure up?

So what you are saying is that I could buy a new Swamp Rat, verify it to be 61-62 Rc, put it in a vice and bend it to approx. 30 degrees and then lay it on a block of wood and whack the side of it with a hammer and it would survive? Amazing indeed.

What exactly were you pounding it into when all the edge damage occured?

i wouldnt expect a direct company comparison like your asking for - ala "his knives broke at this point, ours broke at this. our knives are better then his"

its kind of a direct insult to his craft (without warrant) - when he doesnt make blades for that kind of abuse (to my knowledge). by saying they are the toughest d2 blades on the planet, it allows for anyone who beleives different to bring their opinion to the table and test theres against it, rather then having swamp rat directly inject themselves into their bussiness/public reputation.

were they to do that, they would in effect by using other makers knives as a step stool to popularity, and neither busse or swamp rat has ever been known to do that (unless battered on by said company).

good manners, and good bussiness ethic basically.

the only way your likely to get that kind of comparitive testing posted is from a third party.

i wouldnt be interested in knowing how the tip was lost... pretty crazy to see d2 take that kind of abuse. its good to know that it can with proper treatment :).... just gotta find somewhere around here that sells/can order some....

Did the safari skinner bend like the Bog dog in the vice as well? i think we need more D2 blades with this outstanding toughness!

blademan 13 said:
So what you are saying is that I could buy a new Swamp Rat, verify it to be 61-62 Rc, put it in a vice and bend it to approx. 30 degrees and then lay it on a block of wood and whack the side of it with a hammer and it would survive?
Actually we are not just saying that's what we did we are actually showing you we did it in the pictures that are posted. That's one reason we post the pics, a lot of people can say there knives perform, few actually show you that they do.

blademan 13 said:
What exactly were you pounding it into when all the edge damage occured?
The face of the hammer! The spine of the knife was placed on the anvil with the edge up. Then the edge was pounded with the face of the hammer. I hope that helps.

:D:D

blademan 13 said:
I would assume that you tested some of Bob Dozier's blades? How did they measure up?

I have, the toughness is a lot lower in regards to flexibility, I would be surprised if the level of impact resistance is as high as demonstrated in the above. I had meant to do that a lot sooner, just been busy lately.

-Cliff

MW740 said:
How did the edge of the Bog Dog look after the bend test?

At this point, when the picture was taken, the edge was undamaged (uncracked) and the blade would return to true. We did continue to bend it to destruction and at that point the blade had taken a set, which in itself is unbelievable because D2 normally will not take a set but will just break(and break with very little bend).

I hope this helps

Thank You Eric, that is very impressive. The Bog Dog just made my "must have" list. What is the shipping time on these right now?

Eric, if you still have the knife available, I would like to see a picture of it after it has been sharpened again. Some pictures of it cutting meat, hemp rope or shaving hair would be nice. Let us see how she cleans up and cuts again after such abuse!! Thanks.

Eric Isaacson said:
I couldn't help but think of these tests we did on our D2 knives after reading this thread.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325175

It appears a few people think this type of thing is abusive. I think it is reasonable to ask this of a survival oriented knife.(we ask it of our knives not specifically intended for survival)

And another thread that made me think of these tests we've performed
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328256

Strange the number of knives that we hear about failing in this fashion.

Eric Isaacson said:
And another thread that made me think of these tests we've performed
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328256

In that thread, the RS was being used durring winter when the temperature was around 5 degrees. I'm wondering how the Battlerat performs in that kind of temperature.

Would the swamprat team please test their blades in cold temperatures and posts results?

Eric Isaacson said:
There will always be lame knives as long as people are willing to except lame performance. What interests me is that people are willing to except lame performance when there are alternatives.

-Cliff

Hey Cliff, I wanted to thank you for all the work you do to flush out the flaws in knives. I refer to your tests often. :D

Back