D2 vs ATS-34?

Hello,

I have a D2 Sifu (with finger grooves) that is evidently going to be back-ordered for a couple of months.
frown.gif
Given the additional time to mull over my choices, I'm wondering if the D2 is the best for my purposes (abusive EDC) and considering changing the order.

I tend to abuse knives. They go swimming with me (pools, lakes, and the Gulf). I cut corrugated cardboard, plastic straps, automotive hose, etc. I keep them in my pocket, where sweat and lint make a nasty mix. I understand the D2 is supposed to hold an edge better, but if it rusts more easily, I might be better off with the ATS-34.

Which should hold up better under adverse conditions, the D2 or ATS-34?

In my opinion, D2 outshines ATS 34 in every area except corrosion resistance. But a lot of it depends on the heat treat. A maker like Dozier who has mastered heat treating D2 turns out a very superior product. I am not familiar with the steel in a Sifu; someone more knowledgeable than I will have to fill you in on what to expect. Jeff Randall reviewed a blade made of "Modified D2" that he said was extremely corrosion resistant.

well, i am no expert, but i sure like my D2 SIFU - i ride a bike a lot w/the SIFU carried IWB of my bike shorts so it gets SWEATY - and no rust probs at all, even on the edge that the black coating doesnt cover - maintenance? i wipe it down w/a damp rag to get the sweat off the handles/blade, and oil the blade w/whatever is handy at the time (eg- WD40, breakfree, spray mobil 1, etc) once a week maybe - and get/hold an edge? cant beat it imho - i would wait and get the D2, or shoot, just buy the ATS and sell when ya get your D2, shouldnt be hard, everyone wants a SIFU now it sems - if ya live in an area were they are legal (or if ya dont for that matter) cant imagine a better EDC knife for defense purposes - the only other 1 i have that does is my crawford custom kasper folder, i often cant decide which 1 to carry ......oh and it cost me about $400, had a CRKT version and liked it so much i had to hace the real thing - also did some neat stuff to CRKT, sanded on the handles, etc - looks great - not at all like a $50 knife-i need to get a camera, ya'll would be impressed, looks like someone who knew what they were doing did the work lol - but i digress - i would wait for the D2 if possible......although the other is a perfectly serviceable knife too imho

SIFU

oh and that mike turber guy has some blade forum special editions left, w/the smooth handle and D2 black blade for $119 i think - he is at www.orders@wowinc.com , or call at 9049980123 - that is if ya dont mind the smooth handles - was gonna get a grooved model,with CF handles, and also got to handle a smooth version at the same time - i personally like the smooth better even thought hat nixed the CF handles - check it out if ya want - mikes a good guy, if ya dont already know him.....hope this helps ya out

SIFU

I currently have an ATS-34 Sifu (my EXCELLENT "EDC" folder!), and I also have a D2 Sifu "on the way" from a trade here at BladeForums. When I receive the D2 Sifu, I'll give a full report here.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Well, I have received my D-2 Sifu today
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(that was QUICK, as it was sent to me YESTERDAY!), and I really can't tell the difference between it and my ATS-34 Sifu (aside from the markings on the blade). Both are razor-sharp. This D-2 Sifu has seen some minor use, and some time carried in the previous owners' pocket (pocket lint was found
smile.gif
.). I don't see ANY trace of "rust" or dis-coloration.

I'm not too sure, but maybe due to the fact that this is "Enhanced" D-2, that the "enhanced" part of it took care of any rusting problems that "normal" D-2 steel might have...

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

D2E is reported to have better stain resistance than regular D2, but there are no figures for that, and the exact makeup of D2E is undisclosed. I've been carrying my stonewashed D2E Sifu since early March (I think) and, with a little bit of tuff-cloth, no signs of rust at all. I haven't done any edge retention tests, but I've stabbed my Sifu as hard as I could into wood and pryed it out sideways without any damage whatsoever. I don't know if ATS-34 would fare as well. I do know, from experience, that D2E is much harder to sharpen than ATS-34. My Lansky coarse stone barely touches it, and it wears through 60 grit sandpaper pretty damn quick too. I'm waitin' for the Carnivour Cubs to come out in D2E!

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

hi - i think my D2 SIFU has been easy to sharpen, w/a DMT duofold fine/xfine - of course i dont let it get real dull, but about every wk or so about a dozen passes on the fine, and a dozen on the xfine, and about a dozen on my henckel steel and its SHARP - i read a lot that the D2 is harder to sharpen and it just hasnt been my experience - its 1 of the easiest to get a razor edge on that i have(eg microtek,emerson,BM,spydies,etc) anyway just my $1 worth

SIFU

I wasn't just touching up the edge, I was trying to cut the bevels down to 17 degrees.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

For what it's worth, I have had great luck with REKAT's ATS-34 taking and keeping an edge.

If you have one coming with the coated blade you will probably be frustrated with all the scratches you'll get from the stuff it sounds like you cut the most.

I'm going against the crowd and I'll say for what you are doing take the ATS-34. It holds a great edge and is more rust resistant, I don't think you will miss the difference.

Either way let us know what you think of the big bastid.
smile.gif

------------------
Banner.JPG

Well, I'm going to hold out for the D2. It sounds like it is fairly rust resistant. I don't like the black blades - too much trouble explaining them to already frightened sheeple. I want something that looks like a large pocket knife. The smooth handle might be better for that, but I think I want the finger grooves for less chance of slipping....

------------------
"Better far than cowardice is killing and being killed in battle." — Mahatma Gandhi http://www.mahatma.org.in/quotes.jsp?link=bg

Back