D2 vs Aus-8 in a Rat

I’m going to pick up a Rat 1, and trying to decide which blade.
I like the stainless/no rust aspect of Aus-8, but everyone seems to be so crazy about D2.
Even though it will see some sweat, I can keep it oiled if D2 is really going to have a much better edge retention and toughness??

What sharpening kit you currently possess should determine which vs you buy. Otherwise plan t go buy some dmt/diamond sets if you get D2.

I have several D2 knives that I regularly use around salt water, I have never experienced any staining on any of my knives. D2's edge retention is miles ahead of Aus-8. I am a complete novice at sharpening, but I can easily put a good working edge on D2, it's become one of my favorite steels because of that.

For a few bucks more, the D2 offers immense value. Arguably one of the best budget knives available. Worst I've had from D2 with literally no maintenance is a little spotting, which I've also had from other steels with more corrosion resistance. The edge retention gain is just so much that the tiny bit of maintenance you may have to do is worth it in every way (to me).

I was considering the Work Sharp (belt) Ken Onion edition. Would that work?

Yes, it will work fine. Diamonds are recommended (and rightfully so) for manual sharpening of high wear resistance steels, but powered sharpening is a different story. If you do go the WSKO route, I'd highly recommend forking over the extra cash for the Blade Grinding Attachment as well. It allows you much, much more control over the process. :thumbsup:

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say go with D2. AUS8 is OK, a decent steel for low price knives (I've got a bunch of CS folders in AUS8 and they work fine), but D2 runs circles around it when it comes to edge retention.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over corrosion. I live in a very hot and humid part of South America and have several D2 folders in my EDC rotation. I've found that they'll get surface rust spots, but so will any other blade steel (except H1).

Diafolds are awesome! Well worth it to get both sets. I like to keep a medium course edge on knives but when I first started to learn to freehand from the forum I got pretty obsessive about stropped fine edges. I still strop strap on leather to this day. It's that last bit of oomph of refinement on a knife edge that makes a big difference to your sharpening skills. Pulling wire beads off of my sharpened edges have pretty much cured that why won't my edge sharpen thing that sometimes happened to me.

I was considering the Work Sharp (belt) Ken Onion edition. Would that work?
Would work, but don't. There are lots of threads where you can go in-depths with the different systems. IMO the worksharp is good at nothing but speed

You heard it here first. It's worth a few extra $ for the D2.

D-2 is definitely worth the extra money over AUS-8 and holds an edge longer with use. Sharpening is much more difficult. Definitely use diamonds. If you use the Ken Onion Work Sharp, be careful and take it slow. Maybe practice a bit on a cheaper knife.

Just from personal experience - when discussing steels like D2 and AUS-8 - you have to think about the source of the steel. TRUE USA made D2 Vs. Japanese AUS-8? - D2 is slightly better, I would prefer for myself.

China made D2 vs China made AUS8 - no difference, both ok for EDC use.

How to find out the source - I don't know, maybe ask manufacturer?

Just from personal experience - when discussing steels like D2 and AUS-8 - you have to think about the source of the steel. TRUE USA made D2 Vs. Japanese AUS-8? - D2 is slightly better, I would prefer for myself.

China made D2 vs China made AUS8 - no difference, both ok for EDC use.

How to find out the source - I don't know, maybe ask manufacturer?
D2 sourced from bohler and rat models are made in Taiwan. Iirc around 58hrc give or take.

I would not recommend the work sharp for d2. Diamond or SiC would be idea. Else you'll be going through belts. You could just send them to someone to sharpen. Else A diamond lansky kit will work too.

Back