D3V - Keep It Coated?

Just use it and you'll never have to worry. Rust prevention is for safe queens. Am I the only one abusing these damn things? :confused:
Yes, yes you are. The rest of us only take the knives out on every alternate Sunday and only on overcast days to avoid too much UV exposure. Once the knife has been out in the air for 5 minutes, we quickly decontaminate it and put it away in a hermetically sealed bag that resides inside 3 nested vaults. Then we cackle with glee about our pristine collection and look forward to the next time we are allowed to fondle said knife.

I'm pretty sure the knife will resist rust just fine. 3V as an alloy won't rust as easily or in the same fashion as simple carbon steels.

IIRC, the delta HT does give the steel a little bit more free Chromium compared to a more standard industrial HT. More free Cr in solution and that passive CrO layer can form more readily. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, stainless steel are generally classified as 14% or more Cr in composition (though, I've also read that 10% or more Cr can also be classified as "stainless" steel). The reason for that high Cr content is to ensure enough free Cr is in solution during HT/Tempering as some CrC can form. In particular, higher tempering temps can cause some loss in corrosion resistance as those temps can form CrC and that reduces the free Cr in solution. The thing with 3V as well, even with a traditional HT is that the steel has other elements that are stronger carbide formers than Cr and can allow more Cr to stay in solution.

I remember Survive! did a test comparing traditional/conventional 3V HT with a high temper vs the delta heat treat. The results were pretty good.

Yes, yes you are. The rest of us only take the knives out on every alternate Sunday and only on overcast days to avoid too much UV exposure. Once the knife has been out in the air for 5 minutes, we quickly decontaminate it and put it away in a hermetically sealed bag that resides inside 3 nested vaults. Then we cackle with glee about our pristine collection and look forward to the next time we are allowed to fondle said knife.
:D
Maybe I should try the sealed bags. ;):D

these guys live outside year round stuck into a round of balsam. I wiped em down with my hand before I took this photo but they still haven't stained or corroded much. These two knives are probably some of the most tested D3V knives out there
i2yTrfF.jpg

these guys live outside year round stuck into a round of balsam. I wiped em down with my hand before I took this photo but they still haven't stained or corroded much. These two knives are probably some of the most tested D3V knives out there
Wow, thank you for the photos! :cool:
Thanks to everyone for your input.
D3V is more corrosion resistant than I thought it might be. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't realize I had to store them outside like that. Is that really the recommended way to store them? :confused:;):D

Yes. Recommended storage is outside, tip first, in a stump. We will still honor the warranty for folks like Bob who don't keep stumps laying about their manor and instead keep them stored outside, tip first, in a giant sea turtle.

i2yTrfF.jpg
If these rust so little what use would someone have for AEBL steel knives? I mean those were with no maintenance and only show a little corrosion. How much better would AEBL be, outside of living on a boat in the ocean? Just curious. If your a fan of AEBL can you tell me why or if I’m missing anything?

If these rust so little what use would someone have for AEBL steel knives? I mean those were with no maintenance and only show a little corrosion. How much better would AEBL be, outside of living on a boat in the ocean? Just curious. If your a fan of AEBL can you tell me why or if I’m missing anything?
There is a difference in edge geometry and also in sharpening. Also a difference in wear resistance. Different steels have advantages in certain uses.

i2yTrfF.jpg

Yes. Recommended storage is outside, tip first, in a stump. We will still honor the warranty for folks like Bob who don't keep stumps laying about their manor and instead keep them stored outside, tip first, in a giant sea turtle.

Damn... I've been storing mine all wrong. Guess I should take mine out of their hermetically sealed bags and place them in a stump. :D

In all seriousness, that's really amazing for an 8% Cr knife. Goes to show how big a difference free Cr can make with the right HT. I'd guess the handles would have less corrosion if they weren't wrapped in leather the entire time.

Maybe a little off topic but still related since it's about coating.

How 'bout a DLC coated UFK? I remember seeing REK here on the forums found a coating company that does a pretty good job with DLC coating.

I'm not sure how if the temp would mess with D3Vs HT. Though, whatever company REK is using seems like it would be up to snuff for Nathan's standard of durability and utility. How awesome would that be? Fresh of the grinder, no tumbling, DLC coated UFK?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/photos-post-your-cpk-photos-here.1404389/page-248#post-18650783

Post #4955 Shit looks awesome.

Survive! left a 3v blade outside for a year. It had some rust, but it cleaned off pretty well. I have several 3v and a D3V knives. As long as they stay dry, there is not a problem. If you use them to cut meat or fruit,
they will get light stains, but nothing like plain carbon steel.

Back